I need help/advice. I’m at a loss at how to help my hens!

@Wyorp Rock @nuthatched @Eggcessive @EggSighted4Life @Chipmunk Chicks do any of you folks have an idea what's going on with her chickens, please?
You are so sweet to tag me! Haha I am not even remotely in league with these other friends here hahah 🤷

I agree that it sounds like you've tried just about everything I know I would have. I'm assuming you followed all the instructions, and you said you treated the whole coop and run. I would be keeping a close watch to try and see if there is not still a behavioral thing going on, with bullying or feather picking, and maybe continue the blu kote in case they are being drawn to the fed skin? I'm so sorry you're struggling with this right now. Don't give up! These things are exactly what serve to make us better chicken keepers going forward.

As for breaking the broody, Orpingtons are known for going broody, so it kind of depends how much you may need to do to snap her out of it. Dahlia Monterosa (sp?) is another great chicken resource on YouTube and podcast addict, her show, Welcome to Chickenlandia. Some of it is a little woo-woo, but most of it is solid. :)

Looks like feather picking and/or mating/mounting damage to me.

For the bare bottom, apply some NuStock cream to help heal the small scabs and hopefully deter the picking.

Feathers that are broken or rubbed off won't be replaced until molt.

Make sure your hens have plenty of space, eat a nutritionally balanced diet.

Their feathers won’t grow back until late fall or winter?? 😮 I don’t know much about molting, just that it’s different everywhere . I think. I just sat in the yard and watched my chickens and realized that I have 3 that look perfectly feathered and normal 😐 Should I take those 2 out and put them in chicken jail? If so, how long shoul I keep them separated? I didn’t see them picking on the others, I just noticed they look perfect. In other words, I didn’t witness the crime
You might have already solved the problem and are now waiting on new feathers. But yes, they won't grow new feathers until the molt. I think you'd see them picking each other by now.

Should I separate the ones who are picking on the others? Does that help break the habit or cycle?

I would try the Nustock or even some pine tar, both available in horse supplies or online, first. They need to work out their pecking order. They may need more room, and things to climb on and explore, and places to get away. If you separate the 2 whose feathers look fine, keep them with the others in a wire dog crate with food and water. Do they get to free range daily? That is usually helpful to get their minds off pecking feathers. A little extra protein in the diet may also help. 20% all flock feed, or giving some scrambled egg or ground meat or chicken will increase the protein on 16% layer feed. Keep crushed oyster shell available if using all flock feed.

I’m following this because I have the same issues with my older girls. Mine are probably 2 years old and I’m assuming they are going through a hard molt with the added problem of an exuberant rooster. What would be the answer to the rooster problem? Separate him? That would be so sad but ill do it if it will help solve the problem (Ironically I’m in SE Arizona; no possibility of a late snow here).

I’m following this because I have the same issues with my older girls. Mine are probably 2 years old and I’m assuming they are going through a hard molt with the added problem of an exuberant rooster. What would be the answer to the rooster problem? Separate him? That would be so sad but ill do it if it will help solve the problem (Ironically I’m in SE Arizona; no possibility of a late snow here).
Chicken saddles with shoulder pads.

My favorite are here. Super durable and they lay up off the back a bit so they get a bit of ventilation on their backs in the heat.

https://www.amazon.com/DOWN-UNDER-OUTDOORS-Adjustable-Accessories/dp/B089GJZL2G?th=1

Back
Top Bottom