I need Help ASAP! Chick and rooster are fighting!

I think the fights have just begun, and the only real option you have is to reduce the number of roosters that you have, or wait until they reduce the number of roosters you have by killing one or two by fighting. Once they start fighting, they seldom quit for long. And often times, the fights get worse and worse.

How do the roosters act around you? Cause I think if they are that aggressive, it will not be long before they are aggressive with you too.

The chicken brain is small, and they do not reason well if at all. A large part of their behaviour is hormonally driven, which is not effectively trained to a change in behavior, unless you make capons out of them, and once they are mature, I am not sure if that will work.

Mrs K

You will always have challenges when you have multiple roosters among your hens (not to mention stressed-out over-bred hens when there are too many roosters). One solution is to reduce the number of roosters you have. Another is to keep them separated from the hens in a bachelor pen. Otherwise you will be dealing with rooster fights all the time, and that's not really fair to the birds you love so much. Sometimes the best decisions we make for our animals are the hardest ones for us. I hope you can find a solution that works for you.
we may have to sperate some of the boys fromthe girls. They have not fought for about 3 days hopefully their done.
Thanks

Quote:
That's true of all chooks regardless of gender and sometimes even age. It's how far they take the fights that becomes an issue. Give them a pinch of kelp per bird per day; it brings out proper coloring, behaviour, stronger genes and instincts, and they are so much calmer. Once properly nourished, the need to eradicate what are perceived as excessive burdens on the environment vanishes.

If 'roostersandhens' wants to keep a freeranging conglomerate flock, which pursuit I hope goes as well for them as it has for me, then the only option they have is to persevere. If you have chooks that fight to the death, ideally you'd remove those genes from your flock, and then you can have a happy mix of all breeds and genders and ages, without so much as a single fatal fight. It can be done! You sound like you're on your way. Best wishes with that.

There will always be occasional challenges and even sparring fights, that is both normal and healthy. They must test the alpha's ability to remain alpha. If a rooster or indeed any chook thinks it's fine to maim or kill any opponent, that is a fatal flaw, so to speak. If a rooster or hen kills a chick, they should be killed. Permanently caged and not bred from, or re-homed at the very least! Breeding killers breeds killers, generally speaking. I have had a flock of over 100 chooks peacefully living together, it can be done, you've just got to remove any chooks than won't make peace. All my roosters got along fine, and this included new arrivals... Because I learnt to spot an incorrigible troublemaker and remove it before anything escalated. After only a few generations I had no troublemakers, though that would have been quicker to occur than otherwise because I didn't breed from violent roosters.

A rooster's virility and health are NOT magically attached to a bad attitude. The same is true of all males. Some fights are normal and healthy. Most fights do not need to end in death. Most species have behaviours to show submission to avoid needless deaths... For a good reason! Sorry for my long winded post. I just wish more people would persevere, and breed more peaceful chooks.

Back
Top Bottom