I need help ASAP!

bzbrown

Chirping
8 Years
Apr 17, 2011
Twentynine Palms, California
Our eggs finally pipped last night! Today was my first day at my new job so I had to leave this morning. My husband was home when the first chick finally came through it's shell completely. At the time I can not say how many other eggs were pipped, but I know at least one other one had pipped when I left for work.

Long story short. HE OPENED THE STILL AIR STYROFOAM INCUBATOR and took out the empty shell!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I don't know why he did this, and it didn't occur to me until after I got home and looked in the bator that there were 3 eggs and 1 chick, so where was the shell? I am so upset he did that, I don't know why he would do that. We've had an obnoxious amount of conversations dedicated to "lockdown" and humidity. But whats done is done.

What do I do? What are the odds the eggs that were pipped are just shrink wrapped, the second original pipper has made no progress since I left for work? I don't want them to die because of something like this, but I don't know when to be concerned. All was well this morning, and I am having a hard time understanding why he did this. Humidity is at 59 right now.

Please give us your advice.

Quote:
If all he did was open it a bit and grab the shell I wouldn't worry. When a chick hatches it releases quite a bit of moisture into the incubator. Just keep an eye on the others... they will probably be fine
thumbsup.gif

PS meant to add I have had to open mine under similar conditions and the other chicks hatched just fine.

Last edited:
It will be fine. Give your hubby bonus points for trying to keep it neat and tidy!
wink.png

If you are super concerned you can open the lid a crack and spray a mist of water in.

Thank you to those who responded. After talking to my local BYC friend (whom the eggs came from) and reading the responses here, it was decided to just leave them alone. As a result #2 has made her way into the world. This was the pipped egg I was concerned about. She came out with a huge force and #1 chick seems very excited to have a buddy along for the ride!!!

Back
Top Bottom