I need help...chicken was in swimming pool

azulita

Chirping
15 Years
Jun 9, 2007
My chickens are self proclaimed "free range." They have a coop with a fenced in area, but have always preferred to roost in the trees and go wherever they please on our property.

This morning, I went in the backyard to find my 2-year old Americauna hen Viola, swimming in the pool. When I put in a rake to help her out she just layed on it and was exhausted. I have no idea how long she'd been in there, but she is shivering and almost lifeless.

I found feathers nearby in the back yard and I think a coyote or something must have almost gotten her and she fell or jumped in the pool. It's a salt water pool, but I'm so worried.

What should I do? I held her in a towel for a while, then I put her in some straw in her coop. It should be in the 90s today, so I'm hoping she dries off soon.

These are my first chickens and I really don't know that much.

Kathy outside of Austin

If she has no physical injuries then keep her comfortable. A nice box in your home
or garage would do her well. She is in shock. Give her time and care and she will
come out of it.

Feeding yogurt is always a good thing. It's sorta like ice cream when your sick
but very good for them.

Best wishes.

I'd give her a heat lamp like a brooder - where she can get under the light and warm up/dry off and then away from it if she gets too hot.

Also the yogurt as PC mentioned, and if she doesn't perk up pretty quick you may want to add electrolytes to her water (like avia charge, etc)

I'm sure she will be OK with a little time and TLC - I'm glad you found her!!

Wow...your chicken can swim! I can't....
yippiechickie.gif

Try to dry her off, but most importantly is to try and keep her warm. I think she just needs some time to recover.

-Kim

You might look into a scamper ramp in case this happens again. It's advertised for dogs alot, but they have pictures of squirrels and such using it after they have fallen in pools.

Great ideas. She slept in a box with a towell around her and is fine. However, that should have been a warning that something was coming at them. The next week her sister was attacked and is slowly recovering in a cage in the house.

Self proclaimed free range is great...but they must be safe at night.

Back
Top Bottom