I need help choosing

CHICKENHEAD

Songster
12 Years
Jan 20, 2008
I am currently building a 8x8 coop. It is framed out of 2x4's. Now I need to do the exterior walls. I went to lowes today and prices some of that nice compressed grooved siding, that stuff is like $23 a for a 4x8 sheet here!! Is that high or am I looking at the wrong stuff? What do you all mostly use? Any ideas is greatly appreciated. I am trying to do this cheap as possible, but want it to look nice. Could someone link me to a site at lowes or something so I know what I am looking at. Thanks in advance.

Last edited:
I used chip board when I built mine. It comes in 4' x 8' sheets and it was $5.98 a sheet at Lowes. I kept checking at Walmart in the paint section in the "oops paint area - mistake colors" because that paint is half price and I found a couple of colors I liked so I got my paint from there and painted my coop.

Hope that helps some.

Jayare

Yes, there's no two ways about it: siding is expensive. Pay a lot and have it look good, or pay little and have it look so-so. Either way, the chickens won't care! They just want to be dry and draft-free!
Brian

there is also "the more you pay, the longer it will last". Chipboard, esp. if unpainted but even if you do paint it, will just not last as long as Actual Plywood. So it partly depends on what you think you're going to be doing, or might want to be doing, with the coop in six or ten years.

Pat

Back
Top Bottom