i need help! dead chicken

across727

Hatching
7 Years
Nov 6, 2012
Yesterday one of my hens passed away. Her back was nasty for about two weeks i thought she was molting but i came home and she was dead in the nesting box. I need to know what went wrong.

I had wormed my chickens in late Sept/ early October and had one silkie who was eating/drnking yesterday but seemed lethargic. She seemed fine this morning but was dead early this evening, with no signs of mites or lice or any signs of being egg bound. I am worried for my other chickens as well. I had another who had been molting and lost back feathers, but she seems fine...if I find anything I will pass it along. I am looking for websites to help solve the mystery as well.

She was just a fewmonths old and i believe she was sick we brought the other three inside till we can make a heated coop in the summer

Yesterday one of my hens passed away. Her back was nasty for about two weeks i thought she was molting but i came home and she was dead in the nesting box. I need to know what went wrong.

What exactly do you mean by "back was nasty"? Not to be too gross, but was her skin raw and bleeding? You mentioned that there were no lice or mites. Maybe she was "hen-pecked"? I honestly don't think a heated coop would do you any good. They keep plenty warm with their feathers. Unfortunately, heat will kill them a lot faster than cold weather will. Can you provide any more info or pictures of your coop set-up?

Describe what her back was like- it could well have been an infection.
Don't be in a hurry to make a heated coop- they handle cold and dry well, but heat and moisture are not good for them. Make sure there is lots of ventilation, they need fresh air.
What climate are you in? Lots of people in Minnesota and Alaska don't heat their coops.

Back
Top Bottom