i need help! dead chicken

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by across727, Dec 29, 2012.

1. across727

across727 New Egg

Nov 6, 2012
    Yesterday one of my hens passed away. Her back was nasty for about two weeks i thought she was molting but i came home and she was dead in the nesting box. I need to know what went wrong.

2. Kevin565

Kevin565 Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Dec 22, 2009
    Did you check for lice and mites?

3. across727

across727 New Egg

Nov 6, 2012
    I did just a bit ago and all of mine are clean

4. willowbranchfarm

willowbranchfarm Chicken Boots

Oct 3, 2011
    Virginia
    My Coop
    Have they been wormed??

5. yolkoroo

yolkoroo Out Of The Brooder

May 4, 2011
    I had wormed my chickens in late Sept/ early October and had one silkie who was eating/drnking yesterday but seemed lethargic. She seemed fine this morning but was dead early this evening, with no signs of mites or lice or any signs of being egg bound. I am worried for my other chickens as well. I had another who had been molting and lost back feathers, but she seems fine...if I find anything I will pass it along. I am looking for websites to help solve the mystery as well.

6. across727

across727 New Egg

Nov 6, 2012
    She was just a fewmonths old and i believe she was sick we brought the other three inside till we can make a heated coop in the summer

7. kichohana

kichohana Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 28, 2009
    Johnston County, NC
    What exactly do you mean by "back was nasty"? Not to be too gross, but was her skin raw and bleeding? You mentioned that there were no lice or mites. Maybe she was "hen-pecked"? I honestly don't think a heated coop would do you any good. They keep plenty warm with their feathers. Unfortunately, heat will kill them a lot faster than cold weather will. Can you provide any more info or pictures of your coop set-up?

8. Gargoyle

Gargoyle Overrun With Chickens

Apr 13, 2011
    Fox Valley, IL
    My Coop
    Describe what her back was like- it could well have been an infection.
    Don't be in a hurry to make a heated coop- they handle cold and dry well, but heat and moisture are not good for them. Make sure there is lots of ventilation, they need fresh air.
    What climate are you in? Lots of people in Minnesota and Alaska don't heat their coops.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by