I need help figuring out what is wrong with Duck, please

Firejoy

Hatching
Mar 29, 2018
I have a female Peking duck who is 11 months old. she has always had one foot turned in a bit which gave her a limp. We give the ducks niacin supplements and a warm bath and massage usually helped. About a week ago I went out to let them out of their pen and she couldn't walk! I quickly brought her in and put her in a warm bath and checked her all over. One leg was swollen and she refused to use it. I put her in a kennel in the house with lots of soft straw. I noticed a spot on her foot so I got some medicine for bumble foot and started treating along with a warm bath several times a day. She seemed to be doing better, she would stand and kind of wobble around but is still very clumsy and not for very long. The swelling is gone. Both legs look and feel the same, her feet look pretty good. She just laid her first egg yesterday since this began (she is always a good layer) and another today. But when ever she lays down she splays her foot behind her, if you touch her foot she pulls it up, so she has feeling. She is still very unstable. The weather has been awful and I do not want to put her back out until she is healthy but she has a mate and they are both miserable , I have been bringing him in to see her to cheer them up but they get so riled up I'm afraid she will get hurt worse. I can not find a vet that will take a duck in my area so I am at a loss. If anyone has any advice what I can do or look for, Please let me know.

I can not find any vets that will take her I have called all I could find within a reasonable area but I did buy this spray one recommended for it and and her foot looks good now, no spots sores or anything. she just still is acting like it hurts to put pressure on it. When I wrapped it she would not do anything she laid on her side and just quacked so I have left it open and just changed her bedding everyday to keep her area nice and clean.

I can not find any vets that will take her I have called all I could find within a reasonable area but I did buy this spray one recommended for it and and her foot looks good now, no spots sores or anything. she just still is acting like it hurts to put pressure on it. When I wrapped it she would not do anything she laid on her side and just quacked so I have left it open and just changed her bedding everyday to keep her area nice and clean.
Possibly a sprain and that will take time to heal..

Thank you Is there anything that I might be doing for her if that is the case or a way to check to see? Im sorry this is my fist time having ducks I got them at TSC last summer and this has been the first major issue I have had with them but I thank you so much for your help

Thank you Is there anything that I might be doing for her if that is the case or a way to check to see? Im sorry this is my fist time having ducks I got them at TSC last summer and this has been the first major issue I have had with them but I thank you so much for your help
What do you feed...A Turkey finisher is good feed for Pekin Ducks. She might also have gout..

Back
Top Bottom