I need help finding a AZ vet who can decrow my rooster

Thiccen

Chirping
Jul 9, 2019
Yellow I have an indoor rooster he's the sweetest thing on planet earth so much so I thought he was a hen till he started crowing😬 I live in an apartment and the neighbors have recently started complaining I have him in a collar for the time being but want to get a decrow surgery done in the near future it sounds much more humane then choking the crow out of him 😢 if anyone could recommend some avian vets that would do it in AZ I would greatly appreciate it🙏 thanks!😁

Attachments

• Snapchat-2085960857.jpg
    Snapchat-2085960857.jpg
    246.8 KB · Views: 116
  • Snapchat-2115135969.jpg
    Snapchat-2115135969.jpg
    240 KB · Views: 33
I don't think it affects crowing on a given occasion, but it could still make a difference overall.

I remember reading of someone who provided supplemental light for their roosters in winter (just like for hens) to make sure they were fertile and ready to breed when the hens started to lay. (They were raising a breed that only laid in the spring/summer.) So the number of hours of daylight could make a difference to their overall hormone levels. And of course a lower level of hormones might reduce a rooster's desire to crow, so he might do it less often. (Maybe.)
This is what I was talking about. It might not stop all crowing, but a sound proof & dark closet for 12 hours could lower the testosterone and the neighbor complaints. Owners of parrots do this, too, to reduce noise. Some parrots are very noisy! My friend who had 2 Macaws had to move out of her apartment to a small house away from complainers. Macaws put roosters to shame on the decibel level they can produce!

Light doesn't influence crowing in my experience, at least not by much. If something wakes him up, he'll likely start bellowing until he determines that it honestly was never a threat to begin with. I've had about a half dozen boys at times start contests when it's pitch black outside because something woke one up

I don't think it affects crowing on a given occasion, but it could still make a difference overall.

I remember reading of someone who provided supplemental light for their roosters in winter (just like for hens) to make sure they were fertile and ready to breed when the hens started to lay. (They were raising a breed that only laid in the spring/summer.) So the number of hours of daylight could make a difference to their overall hormone levels. And of course a lower level of hormones might reduce a rooster's desire to crow, so he might do it less often. (Maybe.)

is there anywhere that lists the statistics of decrowing I was trying to find them but couldn't after looking into it more it seems a bit shady😬

I have read that some die in surgery, some do fine but continue to crow loudly, and some do fine and are much quieter. But it appears the different outcomes are partly based on how experienced the vet is, and finding a vet who has experience seems to range from difficult to impossible.

I had a similar situation some years ago, found the internet unhelpful, and finally telephoned every vet within driving distance of where I live. One refused to do it, saying he considered the surgery invasive and inhumane (I got the feeling he had done it in the past.) The others either did not treat chickens at all, or had never done the surgery and refused to try.

if anyone could recommend some avian vets that would do it in AZ I would greatly appreciate it
You could look either in the telephone book or on the internet for a list of vets in your area, and start calling them.

Neutering a rooster is "caponizing." Your autocorrect messed it up.

And caponizing is usually done before the chicken is old enough to crow, so it's probably too late :(
Yes, the Capon people say that once one has started to crow, it might not stop. I think my Avian vet in Mesa would be the right person to talk about your options with, she treats lots of birds, and also farm animals have been in her office when I go there for checkups for Dylan, the parrot in my avatar. She is not an inexpensive option, the egg binding episode cost me $800.00.

Light doesn't influence crowing in my experience, at least not by much. If something wakes him up, he'll likely start bellowing until he determines that it honestly was never a threat to begin with. I've had about a half dozen boys at times start contests when it's pitch black outside because something woke one up

Back
Top Bottom