I need help or advice

Prettyinpink

In the Brooder
Aug 9, 2021
Hello, I'm very new to owning chickens and I'm feeling completely overwhelmed and out of my depth, Is this normal? I reaserched months before taking the plunge but I still don't think that prepared me for chicken life. Is it normal to feel like this or have I made a mistake? Did anyone else feel this way? Should I give it some time?
Thanks for listening

Hello, I'm very new to owning chickens and I'm feeling completely overwhelmed and out of my depth, Is this normal? I reaserched months before taking the plunge but I still don't think that prepared me for chicken life. Is it normal to feel like this or have I made a mistake? Did anyone else feel this way? Should I give it some time?
Thanks for listening
How long have you had them for? How many birds do you have?

I've been raising chickens since I was a kid, so I never really experienced what you're feeling.

It's normal to be nervous- you are responsible for all these little feather babies. Remember that BYC is always here if you ever have any questions or concerns, or just want to chat or vent! You'll fall in love with your chickens in no time.
Feel free to just talk (and show us photos) about your setup so we can make sure it's okay

Ive only had them for about a week and only have two, that might sound daft saying that and feeling the way I do but there it is 😕
Two, is easier to take care of then my 56 birds.

What breeds do you have, & what do you feed? Knowing the diet of your birds can help us, help you be on the right track.

What's your coop set up? Chickens needs lots of space to roam, & to be happy.

Two, is easier to take care of then my 56 birds.

What breeds do you have, & what do you feed? Knowing the diet of your birds can help us, help you be on the right track.

What's your coop set up? Chickens needs lots of space to roam, & to be happy.
I have two silkies, and they are on layer pellets and a corn mix. They are in a coop and run as I'm unable to let them free range. The set up isn't the problem. It's just taken care of them I'm not sure about certain things, like one has a dirty bum but she is not tame so I don't know how to help her and the ground in the run is getting dirty with poo but I don't know how to clean it or if I need to clean it or do I put something on the grass 🤷‍♀️ Its just not going or feeling how I thought it would. Thank you for taking the time to talk to me

How old are they?

About the run getting dirty with poo. To some degree that is unavoidable. No matter what you do, the last few droppings will be messy. If there isn't enough clean grass or dirt or litter to at least keep their backsides clean then you will find them easier to take care of and far more enjoyable if you make some changes to your run. (This may not be the only reason they ended up with dirty backsides)

Options are adding deep bedding (clean wood mulch works well in many climates, sand works well in some and terribly in others, there are other good options), deep litter works well but can take more management.

Poor drainage compounds such problems. There are some good ways to to that (change the grade, add a ditch, guttering maybe) and some that rarely help and usually make things much worse (gravel...shudder).

More space nearly always helps. The smaller the space, the less margin you have for a less than ideal set up. They need more than most prefab coop/runs advertise even

Where are you? Generally, for what kind of climate you have.

I find grabbing them difficult also. If it must be done, being quick and confident is far better than the alternatives. An alternative, where timing isn't too important, is to pick them up off their roost after full dark. Take a very, very dim light and be as quiet as you can.

You can put bedding on the ground. Like sand or hemp (Hemp Bedding- Why is it the best?). After a month or a couple weeks you can use a shovel or scoop to pick the poo out the bedding. Or just rake it all up and change it. It will keep poop under control. I have a pair of "chicken shoes" I wear when going to the run as not to get my shoes dirty.

About the dirty chicken, you can either cut off the poop with round ended scissors ✂ or you can try grab her and wash it off (indoors in the sink or outdoors witha gentle hose).

Catching flighty chickens is difficult. You have to corner them and grap them by the sides of the body, with your thumbs on their "shoulders" to stop them flapping. You can place them on you lap (reccomend covering your lap with a towel or old tshirt) and gently stroke their back to help them calm down.

You need to make them trust you. A leaf of lettuce is the way to go. I'd suggest crouching down so you aren't huge and intimidating. The first day, throw small pieces to them. Each day, throw them a bit closer to you until you can just hold the lettuce in front of you and they'll come up and take bits off. You can stretch your leg out and hold the lettuce on the other side of it. If they can trust you enough to climb onto your leg, you have succeeded. If they don't, keep at it for a few more days. Even after you've succeeded, still spend lots of time with them.

I have two silkies, and they are on layer pellets and a corn mix. They are in a coop and run as I'm unable to let them free range. The set up isn't the problem. It's just taken care of them I'm not sure about certain things, like one has a dirty bum but she is not tame so I don't know how to help her and the ground in the run is getting dirty with poo but I don't know how to clean it or if I need to clean it or do I put something on the grass 🤷‍♀️ Its just not going or feeling how I thought it would. Thank you for taking the time to talk to me
I've only had mine 3 months, and it's definitely a learning experience! Like you, I read a lot before hand, but I think I ignored "icky" stuff, like what to do about poopy butts or mites. 😊 Plus, I just assumed they would be tame - seems like everyone else has tame chickens! Not me!

So, yes, sometimes I felt overwhelmed and wondered if it was going to work out. I think as you gain confidence, and you and your girls get to know each other, you'll feel a lot better! They are awfully cute and full of personality. From what I read, silkies are particularly winsome, plus they're awfully cute!

I've done treatments and butt cleaning on my banties at night, after they've gone to sleep. It was scary the first time, but way easier than I expected! If possible, you'll find it easier to have a helper, so one of you can hold her and the other can clean.

Regarding your run - since chickens supposedly ruin grass, I just dumped an entire bag of Flock Fresh (chopped straw) in what was, at that time, an 8x8 run. The hens love to dig around in it and that keeps the poop buried and under control. Two silkies probably won't hurt your grass so much, but like previous people have said, having deep litter in the run should help a lot with your other issues.

Hang in there! As others have said, BYC is a tremendous resource if you need help, and people are very willing to answer your questions. You'll be in love before you know it!

Cut out the corn, should only be given as an occasional treat?

Just snag her up, wash with warm mild dish Soap water until clean, rinse away the soap, then trim the butt fluff down a bit shorter, but not excessively short after she's dried.

If you don't want to bathe her, take scissors, & cut away the soiled feathers.

Back
Top Bottom