1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

I NEED help quick

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by jbarrett, Dec 11, 2012.

1. jbarrett

jbarrett Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 19, 2012
    Florida
    ok i have 60 8 week old chicks and they are of various breeds I went out to check on them in the coop last evening and there were 2 dead....i had the heat lamps on them and it was raining out i have lost a few before the rain too but they are dry all closed into the coop and i went out to do my morning routines and there were 6 more dead.....no blood in poop......the ones that are not dead are all most all standing up and not looking good.....i gave them some vita chick water to see if that helps any but i really need help before something happens to all of them, could this be mareks or worms pneumonia i need help please....there are with my 12 and 13 week old birds too....all the older ones seem fine but do i need to take the younger ones away in case of disease ......... PLEASE HELP..THANK YOU

2. Ridgerunner

Ridgerunner Chicken Obsessed

Feb 2, 2009
    Northwest Arkansas
    Here is a link that might help. You can find stuff on various diseaes here.

Disease by Symptoms
    http://www.apa-abayouthpoultryclub.... SYMPTOMS FOR DIAGNOSING POULTRY DISEASES.pdf

First, do not discount coccidiosis just because there is no blood in the poop. Sometimes there is no blood. That would be the first thing I'd check. But try going through their symptoms and see if you can get a better idea. You are looking at them and I'm not.

I don't know the conditions you are keeping them in but at 8 weeks they should not need heat lamps. Hopefully they have room to get away from the heat. They need decent ventilation above them too so the ammonia can get away.

I'm not going to try to guess what it could be. I'm not looking at them and have no idea what conditions you are keeping them in. If they are standing around, hunched up and acting lethargic, something is wrong, even of they were not dying. Just try those links and see if you can come up with something.

Good luck!

3. jbarrett

jbarrett Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 19, 2012
    Florida
    Thank you so much for your imput, it in fact turned out to be coccidiosis i later found bloody stool and i contacted my vet and they have all been treated for free!! it pays to know the vet!! or actually be related! I have lost a total of 8 so far out of 160 birds

4. nurse_turtle

nurse_turtle Chillin' With My Peeps

May 28, 2011
    Foothills of NC
    I'm SO glad you found out what it was before you lost your entire flock. When yound chicks start dying off for no good reason, suspect cocci and treat. SO happy for you!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by