I need help! What is a good, quiet, friendly pet duck breed?

The flight feathers regrow every year, so clipping is an annual event. We have three drake mallards, and this year we are trying an experiment. We've clipped the alpha enough so that he can just kind of hover a few inches off the ground, and have left the other two unclipped. They never want to be too far from the alpha, so they are effectively clipped. (However, they are a little slow on the uptake, and not always the most precise of fliers, so I wouldn't recommend this strategy unless your yard has plenty of room.) We've chosen this strategy because a) it's really fun to watch them fly (again, if you have the room, and are fairly sure they won't end up in a neighbors yard, or worse yet, in the street), and b) we are in a wooded area, so lots of predators (a hawk has gone after them a few times), so allowing some flight seemed like a good idea.

Other than that, I'll reiterate what others have said. One duck is a sad, lonely duck. All drakes for us has been a little challenging. There's definitely a pecking order, with it being two against one. Having flexible caging options where the one can be separated, but still very close to and within sight of the other two, helps tremendously. They will get into this pattern where they cannot be next to each other, but they can't be out of each others sight either, enough so that they'd sooner sleep outside in subfreezing temperatures rather than be out of sight of each other in warm separate coops, even though they would tear into each other in the same coop. We now have separate coops with a mesh wall in between so they can see watch other, so now they always sleep inside.

Alright.. This is my first time on this, so Im hoping I came to the right place. I need help! I buying a duck this spring. I'm going to hatch it and everything, but I don't have any idea of what breed?!?! I cannot have any flying breeds. Let me just put this out there.. I do not like muscovies. Every website said muscovies are good, but I disagree. I need a quiter breed because I don't want to bug my neighbors too much. I did some research on a cayuga, but I don't know if they are friendly enough. Any suggestions are welcome. I am completely stuck!!
hmm.png

I wonder what experience you have had with the Muscovy duck to be so close-minded. Is it because you think ALL of them are ugly or what? I have Muscovys and only Muscovys and for me, I would own no other for numerous reasons. Mine are all white, friendly, wag their tails, lay a fair amount of eggs, good mothers, excellent table birds with about a third less fat than any other ducks and extremely quiet. I would agree that many Muscovys are downright ugly as a mud fence, but not all. I pinion mine on day one to keep my neighbors happy, but if your mind is made up, I will respect your choice, but first look at this short video if I can get it to post.....

Best of luck in whatever choice you make,
Bob

Hey, there's no need to be harsh, that's the great thing about people, each and everyone of us have our own preferences. I think 'Scovies are ugly as sin and they're VERY strong and can wound me easily, but others think they're sweet and adorable. I will never own any other duck but Calls, but some people just plain can't stand 'em. And that's totally okay!

I still think Cayugas are your best bet, they're good layers, very friendly, and not as quiet as Muscovies but they aren't terribly noisy. Here's a good instructional video on the breed:

0.jpg

Yup, the runners can fly. Not too high, but they can cover some distance. I was shocked to see them do it. They don't do it often, mostly just to get around someone or something in their way. It is pretty funny. My other runner, Vivian, who is no longer on this earth, never did. But the two I have now will on occasion. Plus, I have seen the runner cross do it also. But the rest of my mixed flock can only hop, too broad in the beam.

Oh why did I watch that video?????????????? Now I want a Cayuga!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I promised hubby I'd stop at 10 ducks..........................

Right??When we got our duck it was a tough choice between calls and cayugas. Close call, but I think I went with the best breed for me <3

I didn't mean to offend any Muscovy lovers. I just don't like them too much. My friend had a Muscovy and he was a nightmare. He was big and scary. That's just my experience but every bird is different. I appreciate all the advice, but I think I'm going to get the Cayuga. Thanks for the video :)

I didn't mean to offend any Muscovy lovers. I just don't like them too much. My friend had a Muscovy and he was a nightmare. He was big and scary. That's just my experience but every bird is different. I appreciate all the advice, but I think I'm going to get the Cayuga. Thanks for the video
smile.png

No offense taken and apologies if I came off a little gruff. As I said I respect your right to choose whatever makes you happy as it would be a shame if we all liked the same thing, huh? So many people are down on Muscovys and many haven't really given them a chance, like many people are against pit bulls, but many are very nice animals. Like one can't judge all cops by a couple of bad ones for instance.
I am sorry you had a bad experience with a Muscovy drake, some can be very intimidating I suppose. I only wish that people, like you, that have a distrust or are afraid of Muscovys could spend an hour in my pen or in the free range and intermingle with a couple of dozen of these amazing ducks. Young children to older seniors are completely at ease among these ducks, but I am sure not all Muscovys are of the same temperament.

Over the years I've had many duck breeds including the Cayuga and I am sure you will be happy with your choice.

Enjoy, welcome to BYC and keep us updated, ok?

Bob

I wonder what experience you have had with the Muscovy duck to be so close-minded.  Is it because you think ALL of them are ugly or what?  I have Muscovys and only Muscovys and for me, I would own no other for numerous reasons.  Mine are all white, friendly, wag their tails, lay a fair amount of eggs, good mothers, excellent table birds with about a third less fat than any other ducks and extremely quiet.  I would agree that many Muscovys are downright ugly as a mud fence, but not all.  I pinion mine on day one to keep my neighbors happy, but if your mind is made up, I will respect your choice, but first look at this short video if I can get it to post.....

Best of luck in whatever choice you make,
Bob
great video. The muscovies in it are beautiful and so cute.

Back
Top Bottom