I need HELP with prices.

KinderKorner

Songster
10 Years
Mar 8, 2009
Southern Illinois
Alright so I have like 30+ birds that need to find homes. I spent quite a bit of money on them, and I would like to make at least like a couple dollars profit to help pay for feed. But I have absolutely no clue what to price them, and I have several people wanting to come look at them.

I know you just say figure costs, or charge the same as other around you do. But I am just clueless I need estimates on what they should sell for. lol

So someone please help. I will post my chicks and what I spent on them or buying cost alone. Some I have forgotten or I got them free so I will leave it blank

6 SLW pullets -$5 ea
1 SLW Cockeral-$4
1 Partrigde Cochin Pullet
1 ee cockeral
6 ee chicks (will lay blue eggs I believe)
2 GLW pullets-$5-$6 ea
4 Light Brahma Pullets- $5 ea
4 Buff Orp pullets-$3 ea
4 Different colored Polish pullets-$4 each
6 Designer Birds

I 'think' I've covered them all, maybe...

Also you have to remember those are the prices I spent to buy them as chicks. Their ages now are 2months-5months.

Please help we figure up a good price for my flock. I really would like to come out equal or ahead of what I started, but I also don't want to overcharge.

Wow you spent some money on those chicks. Where did you get them if they were from known breeders it will make a differance. If they are just hatchery stock.....see below.

Ok for POL which is the 5 motnhs you can charge $10 up to $15 depending on the breed, crossbreeds and mutts will be low end of that for POL.

2months old will only be a dollar or two more than what you paided.

Some are hatchery birds, some are breeder birds.

I just can't see charging someone $10 for a bird. lol gah. I guess will have to if I want to make my money back/

Thank you for answering though.

Whereabouts are you located Kinder? I might be after those Brahmas...if they're not from hatcheries!
big_smile.png

haha actually the Brahmas are from a hacthery. I bought them, then decided I wanted to go into Show Quailty birds. lol So now the hatchery birds are going bye bye. lol

I am in Southern Illinois, about 1 1/2 hours from St. Louis.

There is a man I know and he sells chickens with these prices regardless of breed:
day olds 2.50
3 week ols 3.00
1-2 months 4.00
3-5 months 7.00
layers 12.00

hope this helped
smile.png

People in my area sell 5-7 month olds for 12!

at our local auction, laying hens (and these can be old birds) are $12. I sell my chicks from $4-7 depending on breed as day olds.
when they are 6 weeks old $10 each and laying hens I charge $15 and up depending on breed. so this gives you a range.

Last edited:
lol I am so silly. I just spent $120 for 6 birds. Yet, I feel so guilty charging $10 for a bird. lol I am never going to make a profit cause I'm too much of a softy. lol
gig.gif

I paid about $6 for two Australorp pullets. One turned out to be a rooster. Do you think $10 is to much to ask for the pair when they are 8 weeks old?

Haha I think I am going to Charge $8-$10 for the 5 month old SLW, Brahmas, Partridge Cochin, and $10-$12 for the GLW.

The others I am still un sure about price.

Wow. Every charges like a bunch more than I was thinking. I was debating if $6 was too much to ask for a 2-3 month old pullet. lol

There is an auction around here that we go to, and young pullets and hens I've seen goin up to $16-20, and I've seen big roosters got for over $10 expecially if its cochin roo's or purebreeds.

Last edited:
It all depends on your area + supply and demand.

Where I live (in the city), POL & laying hens go for $15-$20 each (hatchery or not). 8 week old pullets are about $8-$10 and 2-3 month olds are $10-$15. The chicks are definitely worth more the older they are because they are that much closer to laying and you've put them time and feed into raising them. Our feed stores sell chicks for $3 (EEs for $4), so people here are happy to pay $8 for an 8 week old chick already feathered out and ready for outside living (some don't want the mess, hassle, & cost of raising chicks in a brooder.

But..... if you live out in the country where chickens are plentiful and the extras are just given away, it might be a different story. Check out your local craigslist and see what people are selling theirs for.

Back
Top Bottom