I need HELP!!!

Buster3

Hatching
10 Years
Jan 25, 2009
Hi everyone I am new to this site and need some advice.

My grandfather has had wild chickens living on his yard for almost ten years. He has grown to love them as his own pets now and cares for them all the time. We have no idea how they got there and why they stuck around for so long but they do and he loves them.
big_smile.png

Anyway there is only one left and the rooster is getting really old. As a gift I was thinking about getting him somemore because he loves them so much, but my questions is will the rooster except other chickens. I really don't know anything about chickens and I want to make this gift right and I don't want the rooster killing the other rooster.

Maybe I should just get a hen and see what they do or just get chicks I have know idea. Can anyone help me and give me some information?

welcome-byc.gif
!!!! I am sure your gradnpa would love new chickens. Try to pick a breed that is friendly, like my personal favorite Buff Orington's.
lol.png
I am sure others could add their favorites to this list!

uh oh...i know where this one's going....everyone will say...get more chickens.

do you have a coop for say...baby chicks? to keep them safe from weather (has to be 90* for the first couple of weeks) and predators?

how old is roo i wonder?

sometimes you can put other roos in but they tend to fight. i have a few together but they were raised as peeps together but they stil fight...not to the death but maybe a bit of blood on the combs...

i got my chicks from mcmurray hatchery...other's will have have STRONG opinions of what hatchery or place to get your birds.

at any rate....get a book about raising poultry and you'll get the basics and keep us updated....chickens are fun. I'm happy to hear you do this for your grandpa.

me,
g

Last edited:
I started with bared rock.

I now have bared rock, red star, delaware, black austrolopes, silver laced wyndottes...but I think I favor the bared rock and the delaware as far as gentleness goes. Nice brown egg layers.

me,
g

welcome-byc.gif

You are so sweet to do this...
smile.png

How are you envisioning the new chickens living? Do you want them to have their own coop and run, or basically run around "wild"? There are certain breeds that are more suited for each situation (though they'll be safer from predators if they have a coop and run).

Do you want to purchase adult chickens or chicks? The rooster he has already would probably get along better with adult chickens, but you could raise chicks to adult age (it only takes a few months) and then introduce them to each other.

Thanks for everyone who replied!!

Well I have been thinking about it a little more and I think the chickens are going to be wild and not stay in a coop. The one that he has is probably like six. I remember when he was a little chick. hahaha so cute.

My grandfather does have a little bedding area in the yard but other then that there is really nothing for him except food. So I guess that chicks wouldn't be a very good choice.

At one time there was little chicks running around and the mother made a nice nest for them but my grandfather never interacted with them. The chickens were not really pets then, they were only just sharing the backyard. Now that there is only one left I know that he watches out for him and I have never seen a wild rooster treated so nicely. hahaha. When they go on vacation I have to go over every day to put out seed and bread for him and my grancfather doesn't want the roosters beak to get scratched so I have to put all the food on a special little carpet.

My question is what should I be expecting to pay for like 6 chickens?? What kind do you think is the best? The yard is not fenced in or anything so that rooster comes and goes as it pleases so I am anticipating that some of them wont stick around. I am hoping that a hen will stick around and make friends with the rooster so we can eventually have some chicks running around to keep the population up hahaha.

Any advice you have I will take.
Thanks,
Buster3

I would love to see atleast a doghouse for shelter. 6 chicks are really not expensive. Just make sure you get the right breed. White chickens and top hats (feather crested) might not be a bright idea. THey are a invatation for predators . I dont know where you live but cold hardy chickens would be good. I would suggest Buckeyes,Partridge Chantecler . Well in general you should get birds that either do well in heat or cold, depending on your area, not feather footed or top hatted, good foragers and but not super spazy. You should expect about 2 to 3 $ for a female chick and less for a male. just check out https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=58610
some
hatcheries like Ideal or Meyers have special programs where you dont need to order 15 or 25 chicks and if you close by you might e able to pick them up.

Back
Top Bottom