I NEED HELP

Can you get some photos of her? That'll help confirm wet feather and bumblefoot.

Have you been doing anything to treat the bumblefoot besides bringing her inside?

Has she stopped preening herself, did she have access to swimming water before you brought her inside? Any other changes (not eating, lethargy, etc)

Pekins are quite predisposed to develop the problems you're seeing. Due to their heavyweight, when housed on any slightly unforgiving housing substrate, erosion of the epidermal layer, creating an opening for bacteria to enter, frequently results in pododermatitis (Bumblefoot). Wet feather is always secondary to something else; caused by not getting in water frequently, mostly due to a preexisting condition that discourages walking (bumblefoot, arthritis, niacin problems, etc.) So the birds lay around, and tend not to do much.

Since the Bumblefoot problem could potentially be the causative agent of the wet feather, focus on treating the bumblefoot for now. Emphasis should then be put on ensuring she gets in the water at least once a day. When not in the water, gently misting her feathers to encourage natural preening habits, and massaging her oil gland could also be beneficial. Once again, due to their fast-growing rate Pekins require more of certain vitamins than other birds such as chickens. One to be specific would be niacin (B3). If she's on a chicken layer feed, I would try to switch her over to a Mazuri brand feed, or an all flock type feed.

Ok honestly I thought ducks needed duck feed too but I feed them nature wise 16% percent protein layer feed pellets and they do fine eating that and eating stuff from the pond and land that they hunt on. They haven’t had any problems I’ve noticed and they really haven’t slowed down on egg production either. But I’ve been wrong before and I hope someone can help with the ducks 😁
Not everyone can buy duck feed. No one around me sells it. I’ve been keeping ducks since 2004 they have always eaten chicken feed. An all flock which means it’s formulated for all poultry is best then just be sure to keep oyster shell out for egg layers. Plus many of us have mixed flocks so feeding only duck feed if I could get it may not be the best for my chickens. As for the bumble please get some pictures up so we can see what’s going on. Most likely your going to have to get the infection out so they can heal.

Back
Top Bottom