I need help

Invicta Farms

Chirping
Nov 21, 2021
I've tried so many meds on my flock of young chicks and nothing has cured whatever this illness is, I had given them all doxy-tyl medicine in thier water and that seemed to help a little but not cured.
what do I need to do?
Symptoms:
Running Nose
Sneezing/Coughing
Clogged Nostrils Because of mucus buildup
heavy breathing in some birds
losing weight
and small bubbles in the eyes
some of them will have thier eyes shut and they have puss in thier eyes as well.

Attachments

• 20230128_093036.jpg
    20230128_093036.jpg
    420.1 KB · Views: 17
Is there a bad odor from the face or no odor? Testing would need to be done to confirm mycoplasma gallisepticum (MG, CRD,) but that is what it seems like. There are a number of respiratory diseases in chickens, and sometimes it can be more than one. Tylan (tylosin) is good to treat MG symptoms, but the disease is never cured. There are a few other antibiotics that treat symptoms, including oxytetracycline and Denagard (tiamulin.) It makes them and the whole flock carriers, even when one does not get symptoms. This is a decent article to read:
https://extension.umd.edu/sites/ext... Mycoplasma gallisepticum (MG) Infecti....pdf

Is there a bad odor from the face or no odor? Testing would need to be done to confirm mycoplasma gallisepticum (MG, CRD,) but that is what it seems like. There are a number of respiratory diseases in chickens, and sometimes it can be more than one. Tylan (tylosin) is good to treat MG symptoms, but the disease is never cured. There are a few other antibiotics that treat symptoms, including oxytetracycline and Denagard (tiamulin.) It makes them and the whole flock carriers, even when one does not get symptoms. This is a decent article to read:
https://extension.umd.edu/sites/extension.umd.edu/files/2022-04/FS-1008 Recognizing and Preventing Mycoplasma gallisepticum (MG) Infecti....pdf
It does smell a little on the left side, currently where those bubbles are. I have Tylan and use it regularly.
Thank you for your response and the info 🙏

It does smell a little on the left side, currently where those bubbles are. I have Tylan and use it regularly.
Thank you for your response and the info 🙏
. What do you mean by using Tylan regularly?

I just saw your brand new thread. Tylan is not going to cure tanker if that is indeed what Is there You're dealing with.
You'll need to get metronidazole.

Also be aware that in order for Tylan to work, for other things, it must be given every 8 hours.

Last edited:
To then have a healthier way. What do you mean by using Tylan regularly?

I just saw your brand new thread. Tylan is not going to cure tanker if that is indeed what Is there You're dealing with.

Also be aware that in order for Tylan to work, for other things, it must be given every 8 hours.
I use tylan on sick birds daily for 5 days at least I usually give them 0.3cc for small birds, and 0.5cc for large ones. I administer orally most of the time. if I inject a large bird I lower the dosage to 0.3cc. I really don't know if that's too little or too much. 🤦‍♀️
I certainly don't want to lose my flock so any meds I see here I'm going to buy them.

I use tylan on sick birds daily for 5 days at least I usually give them 0.3cc for small birds, and 0.5cc for large ones. I administer orally most of the time. if I inject a large bird I lower the dosage to 0.3cc. I really don't know if that's too little or too much. 🤦‍♀️
I certainly don't want to lose my flock so any meds I see here I'm going to buy them.
Unfortunately if you're only giving this once a day, it's not good enough... Which might be why you're having to use it so regularly . Which Tylan that you? The 50?
Can you post a picture of your bottle?
The Tylan 50 dose is:
0.3 ml per pound 4 times a day
or
0.4 ml per pound 3 times a day
or
0.6 ml per pound 2 times a day

Tylosin (Tylan) works best when given more frequently.

To then have a healthier way. What do you mean by using Tylan regularly?

I have some Ronidazole on hand, would that be okay for the time being?

Unfortunately if you're only giving this once a day, it's not good enough... Which might be why you're having to use it so regularly . Which Tylan that you? The 50?
Can you post a picture of your bottle?
yes it's the 50, I didn't know you could give it every 8hrs.

Attachments

• 16751734637904233963757544485886.jpg
    16751734637904233963757544485886.jpg
    261.3 KB · Views: 1
I have some Ronidazole on hand, would that be okay for the time being?
Yes, that would actually work for canker if it is indeed canker that you're dealing with.
Are you aware that you can have some fairly cheap testing done by your state lab so that you know exactly what you're dealing with so you can treat it properly instead of guessing?

yes it's the 50, I didn't know you could give it every 8hrs.
You must give it consistently and multiple times a day in order for it to work properly. Not doing so can actually make things worse... It can make the bacteria resistant to the antibiotic which is very bad.

Back
Top Bottom