I Need Help !!!!!!!!!!!!!

coffeepheasant

In the Brooder
8 Years
Jun 19, 2011
I want some peafowl !!! But last time i got them they ran away !!! i kept them in a pen for 8 weeks and i let them out and then put them away. However after a week they just walked off :'( I am going to an auction in a week and i woud love to buy some of the peafowl. They have some peachicks for sale and i was wondering if i raised them with baby chickens whether they would be able to live with the chickens in the poultry shed ?????
PLEASE CAN ANYONE HELP ME !!!! any replie would be appriciated THANX

Chickens and peafowl don't mix well due to parasites and disease.

Our few free range peafowl were homed in a pen for several months before being released. Eight weeks may not be long enough. There seems to be vastly different success rates in free ranging peafowl. It works for some folks but not others.

Quote:
First you want younger Peafowl yearlings are the best. Pen them for 7 to 8 months then just open the door and let them come and go a will and they should hang around, if you have out free range birds this will help as well.

Ricky

So true, some people have an easier time free-ranging them, for some it can be a bit harder. It is best to start with younger peafowl. I think the best thing you could do would be to hatch some and that way they will imprint to you and want to stick around. If you want to get them older try yearlings. They are supposed to be easier to free-range than adults. Keep them penned for several months and what a lot of people suggest is if you really really want peafowl than to insure you get to keep peafowl you keep your first ones penned and free-range their chicks that way if you lose some free-rangers to predators or running away than you will always have some in a pen. Also ones in a pen help to anchor ones free-ranging.

Sorry to hear about your peas. I'm afraid of the same thing, so that is why I keep my in an aviary at all times. I don't think that I will allow them to free range. So much can happen in the blink of an eye.

The younger birds are easier to break to free range.....also one thing let just a few out keep other penned ,to help call the other backed. then after a few weeks of them returning , let the rest out.

Thanxs guys for all the replies i think i will try and hatch some next yr and try and create a bond. Thanx agian
big_smile.png

Back
Top Bottom