I need Help!

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by eggxelent, Dec 19, 2012.

1. eggxelent

eggxelent Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 19, 2012
    Okay, I found a breed of chicken that I so far like, but people in the reviews keep saying it is "flighty". What does it mean? Please veterans, answer me! I need something quickly![​IMG][​IMG]

2. Cowgirl71

Cowgirl71 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 5, 2010
    Missouri Ozarks
    A flighty bird is high strung. It's often a good flyer and houdini. A flighty bird generally doesn't like to be someone's pet, it wants to keep to it's self and/or to it's chicken buddies. A flighty bird is also more alert, so if you're free ranging your birds a flighty breed stands a better chance of survival against predators than a more docile breed.

3. eggxelent

eggxelent Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 19, 2012
    Thank you so much. I might not want to get that bird then... Anyway thanks again!!!!!![​IMG]

4. bakerjw

bakerjw Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 14, 2010
    Johnson City, Tn
    I picked up some Leghorns a year ago and they are a flighty breed. They'd escape from the run and I finally found out how they were getting back in. They'd go behind the coop, look up and then jump and fly straight up to the roof. Once there, they'd walk across and fly down into the run. They are spastic and cute as can be though.

5. cassie

cassie Overrun With Chickens

Mar 19, 2009
    Flighty is a nice way of saying high strung and hysterical. Leghorns are a good example. However, they are the best layers and the hardest for predators to catch. Also, most of them never go broody. I don't have them because I can't stand the SQUAAAWKKK!!! SQUAAWCK whenever I go in the pen. But that's me.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by