I need help!!!

kasixx

Hatching
6 Years
Mar 14, 2013
Sharpsburg, GA
my 4 week old pekin hasn't been able to walk in almost a week! Her legs go straight out to her sides and i keep finding her flipped over. i have been using nician and vitamins in her food and water for about a week with VERY LITTLE progress... I'm open to any suggestions anyone may have!

I have no idea about what's going on as I am new to ducks myself. But to post photos where you type your reply you will see a smiley face and then 5 icons from that looks like a painting, click that and you can upload them from that :)

This is a pic of her two days ago after some swim time... Last Sunday both legs were straight out... Now just one... So I'm not thinking it's splayed leg... But if itis would she have been like this all along? Cause this just gradually happened.

Sounds like splayed leg to me, too. What kind of bedding do they have?

I would begin by making her a halter that would bring her legs closer together.

From Storey's Guide to Raising Ducks:

Causes

Spraddled legs can usually be traced to smooth bottoms in incubator trays, brooder floors, or pens where birds have poor footing.

Treatment

Provide floors with good footing. Tying a short piece of yarn between the patient's legs for several days will often cure spraddled legs. When hobbles are used, it is essential that they are not tied so tightly that blood circulation is restriced.

Prevention

Never put ducks (especially heavy breeds) in pens or boxes with slick surfaces.

The image shows a piece of yarn used as a hobble (loop around each leg, with a short length of yarn between the loops).

I'm concerned because the duckling is so old and splay leg is usually a newborn problem or at least less than a week old.

Has this been happening occasionally for a longer period?

Can you move the legs to the correct position without the duckling experience pain or discomfort?

What type of bedding are they on?

She wasn't born like this... She was fine up till about a week ago... It was both legs and now it's just one... I have her inherent own pin with shavings nothing slippery for her

How does she look when she is floating in water? I would put her in a warm (80F) bath deep enough to float in and see if the legs are in the normal position. If so, I would then make a hobble for her to hold both legs in the right orientation, and continue to give her 100 to 150 mg niacin per gallon of water for another six weeks or so.

Thanks for sharing the situation here, I hope we can offer some ideas that will help you.

Back
Top Bottom