I need ideas for a bit of family hot weather fun with a tiny budget.

Discussion in 'Family Life - Stories, Pictures & Updates' started by HeatherLynn, May 28, 2010.

1. HeatherLynn

HeatherLynn Chillin' With My Peeps

May 11, 2009
    Kentucky, Cecilia
    Everyone is going somewhere for the weekend. A few went to the smokies, some are spending the weekend in the pool, and we are here working in the sun and I am so sick of it. We are renovating our house to sell so we can start building on property we are getting from my parents farm in the spring. We are also doing a 3/4 acre garden spot that was supposed to be the whole family helping and benefiting. ( 250 bloody feet of potatoes, do you know how long it takes to weed, pick off potato bugs of that many plants) Right now its just us working and everyone talking about how good the fresh veggies will taste while eating my fresh eggs. I swear the last 2 months we have not had any time. If we take time away from renovation, gardening, building farm outbuildings its to take the kids to ballet or scouts and thats it. We are spending roughly 8 to 10 hours a day outside working and the rest doing renovations or going to work. So I am just fed up and I want some to steal a bit of time for us to do a little something. Something that involves cold water preferably. Everyone keeps calling to see how work is progressing on fencing, dog houses, goose houses, garden, watering and feeding dogs, cats, horses blah blah blah. We can't be gone all day because of all the work and the animals but I need a really awesome idea for maybe 5 or 6 hour family playtime.

What does everyone else do to relax and have a bit of fun? At this point I am ready to set up a sprinkler in the field, fill a cooler with ice and pull out lawn chairs lol. desperate!

2. HennyJenny

HennyJenny Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 26, 2009
    Bennington, NE
    When we need a few hours of fun for everybody we pack up a cooler and go to the NRD lake down the road. Anything like that by you? The kids can't swim in it but they can go ankle deep which is sometimes just enough to make a little guy happy. That and a peanut butter sandwich and a root beer seems to solve a lot of issues! We have a pool - but before we had that we had a stock tank [​IMG] But you could go buy a pretty decent easy set pool for lot less than a stock tank now. Sounds like you're in the country far enough that you could build a campfire and roast marshmallows at night too!

3. trilyn

trilyn Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 13, 2009
    East Syracuse
    Sorry, but pulling out the lawn chairs, sprinkler, and cooler sounds darn good to me! Then again, I like to keep things simple. lol It wouldn't take a lot of time to set it up and you're definitely close to home. Now add the bbq grill, some good food and a couple of cold drinks and you've got a party!!

4. Marie1234

Marie1234 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 29, 2010
    Any shallow rivers with public access and shade trees?

5. saddina

saddina Internally Deranged

May 2, 2009
    Desert, CA
    If you gotta be on site a slip-n-slide for the kids and a cooler of cocktail mix, add hammock if desired.

6. HeatherLynn

HeatherLynn Chillin' With My Peeps

May 11, 2009
    Kentucky, Cecilia
    actually after I typed that it started sounding good. I have made my demand for a pool sometime this next month before I die from the heat but a sprinkler will do the trick for now. There is a lake but no clue if there is any swimming spots there. I have only been once roughly 18 years ago and that was on a boat. We used to go to a park that had a HUGE creek that everyone went to but it closed due to county budget issues. blah The campfire sounds good too. hmmm

7. Spookwriter

Spookwriter Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Feb 23, 2010
    Ohio
    Give us the parameters we're allowed to work from? Then we can
    cast about for ideals.

People involved? Husband, wife only? Children present?

Area to work with? House, yard, barn, field, patio, garden? Unfinished
    house?

How far from home are we allowed to suggest?

Time preferred? Evening, afternoon, morning?

List of LEGAL activities enjoyed?

I'm sure someone here can come up with an interesting ideal.

8. flgardengirl

flgardengirl Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 2, 2009
    Sunny side up :)
    go fishing

9. Sir Birdaholic

Sir Birdaholic Night Knight

Whatever you decide, do your thing AWAY from the house, so you can TOTALLY concentrate on the family, & NOT on what the next project is. ENJOY!! [​IMG]

10. breezy

breezy Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 7, 2009
    Sand Coulee MT
    Sprinkler and lawn chairs sounds fun to me..... add water ballons for the family to have a war with and then weenies on a stick over a fire for later. Cheap simple old fashioned family fun.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by