i need ideas for brooders to hold 100+ chicks for 3-4 weeks.

Good luck with that.
hmm.png

I made a 3X7 brooder and it should hold 50 or so for a while and I am building a 4x6 Brooder out of scraps left over in my barn and its about 3/4 the way done. This one should hold 50-65 or so. I'm glad I spread out my orders a few weeks apart! Hopefully by 3 weeks I have them off heat!

Nate

Here's what you need

Big box from grocery store. The kind they use for watermelons, etc. You know, those huger suckers.
A sawhorse
Brooder lamps

Use a couple of nails in the sawhorse to help secure the lamps. Place them apart a bit.

I use the top of those boxes as a floor. If they don't have the top I tape flattened baxes together and lay them on the grount. Then take the big box and tape the bottom to the flooring.

I like this way, because after I'm done I can toss it.

I put my 30 chicks in their coop when they were a week old. Their going on three weeks old now. The coop is 330 sq ft. They look like ants running around in this big coop but they love it.
63768_growing_up_005.jpg

For one hundred large fowl chicks to four weeks you'll want at least one hundred square feet or about 10ft x 10ft.

You don't want to crowd them there at the end because that encourages cannibalism.

Easiest to partition off part of the barn or garage. Yes, they'll need 100 sq ft, I agree. Use the corner of the barn or garage and you'll only need to "build" two sides. Those sides will need to be every bit of 3' high as the 5 week old chicks love to see how high they can jump/fly and perch.

Back
Top Bottom