I need lots of Phoenix roo info!!!

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by CrazyCatCulby, Jan 28, 2012.

1. CrazyCatCulby

CrazyCatCulby Out Of The Brooder

Oct 27, 2011
    southwest Michigan
    So, I am thinking about getting a phoenix roo. I want him to have a good 3-4ft long tail, and he also must be a little friendly [​IMG]

What kind of coop and run would work best for growing a tail? Also, what kind of food, bedding, perches, etc. would help us out the most? Any other tips?

Thanks in advance for any answers!

2. tandersphoenix

tandersphoenix Chillin' With My Peeps Premium Member

Feb 25, 2011
    Hi, The most important things for allowing good tail growth are that they are kept dry and clean. When I am trying to keep one up for growing his tail I have had the best luck in about an 8 ft by 8ft pen with plywood or something solid from the bottom up about 2 ft. Wire will shred a tail! If they have enough room wire is fine but if their tail rubs it when they turn it will cut the ends. Phoenix do not require a special diet. Regular layer mash is fine. Also running with hens will damage his tail too as they step on it a lot. Last thing is I never free range any of my birds, the sun and weather will make the tail very brittle and break. I let mine out to get fresh grass and bugs every once in a while for a treat but that is it. On the whole they are easy to keep. Hope that helps you some!

1 person likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by