I need mosquito advice

Quote:
Hmmmm. Perhaps that may work if there were a "few" mosquitos, but when they are swarming in very large (I'm talking by the thousands) swarms, I don't think that would be very effective, but thanks for the tip.

I suggest keeping your grass and weeds cut well back from the run. they tend to find shady areas to take cover in during daylight hours and if they don't have to fly far for a meal then your just inviting them in. as for control Bat houses work very well as a single bat will eat up to 4000 skeeters a night.

Quote:
Suze
I'm really thinking that I'm going to need something "chemical based". It is just too big of a problem here. I want my chickens to be comfortable and not suffering from not only the bits, but the illnesses that can come from those bites. I don't want to risk harm coming to them.

scratch'n'peck :

I'm glad you asked that question because I expect we will get a bunch of mosquitoes here too (just north of Grand Rapids). I suppose I will take the advise of Sonoran Silkies and find a spray at TSC. I think I have seen sprays with permethrin which is good for mites but I would have to check if it works on mosquitoes.

BTW, I looked at your BYC page and really enjoyed the photos. The whole family will continue to have fun with the buff orps as they grow up. I have found they are just as charming as adults!

Jill
I actually recently read something about Premethrin. I didn't realize that they sold it a TSC. I will definately be stopping in there tomorrow! I'm glad you enjoyd my BYC page. I don't think I would ever want any other breed of bird for layers. They are so sweet and loving! We are very happy with them and are enjoying each and every day as they grow.​

I have a friend of mine pick up vanilla in Mexico when she is there and we go through 2 bottles on ourselves Dancy is what we use real vanilla not the extract, $2.00 a bottle and a whole summer bug free, best thing vanilla is for mosquito control and those little black bugs that are really tiny, I use it for everything, us and the house and it keeps the bugs away smells great. And bonus you will not smell like OFF and it is not a chemical to worry about causing health problems later on etc.

Back
Top Bottom