I need opinions for a new rooster...

gypsy chicken

Hatching
5 Years
Jan 11, 2015
nevada
Ok....so i lost my blue Orpington rooster over a month ago. I currently have 2 blue and 1 splash, all orp hens. Now, I'd really like to find another blue orp roo to match up for my BBS colors I was looking forward to hatching later this year. But they are hard to find. So I'm branching out for another docile breed to match with my hens. Any opinions on what breed would go best with my orp hens? I'm fixing to pick up some silkie chicks before long and will have a roo with them but was unsure that a match between them would work or be ideal due to size? I've never tried pairing those before so maybe they would? Any opinions? I'm strongly against RIR as I've raised them and do not appreciate the aggressive behavior with the roosters at all lol

Our buff sussex rooster is very gentle and nice to the hens and us. He is pretty quiet too.

I wouldn't personally recommend getting a Silkie rooster for standard sized hens. I would go with a rooster from a standard sized breed that has a well deserved reputation for being calm and gentle such as Orpingtons (you could get a Buff one), Australorps, Brahmas, Cochins, or Sussex. My children made lap pets of all of these standard sized breeds. Whatever breed of rooster you decide to get, good luck with your flock.

Cochins were my other thought as I love those as well. Color is the main thing I'm really focusing on. I'm strictly wanting to keep all blue for the most part in my flock. I have a chance at some blue cochins in my area so I may snatch a few up

Cochins were my other thought as I love those as well. Color is the main thing I'm really focusing on. I'm strictly wanting to keep all blue for the most part in my flock. I have a chance at some blue cochins in my area so I may snatch a few up

A standard sized (not bantam) Blue Cochin rooster should be a very calm and gentle rooster for your flock.

Back
Top Bottom