I need options; roosters to hen ratio.

[QUOTE="AmyJane725, post: 21528603, member: if they're mean to the girls they're outta here. They're two months old now, so puberty is going to be hitting soon.

If I understand correctly, they'll be mating before the hens even start laying (if puberty is 3-4 months and hens don't usually lay until 6)?[/QUOTE]

First time chicken owners often mistake their "making love" as aggression. It can look pretty violent, but that's just how they make babies, and most girls will squat and enjoy it. It comes naturally to them as long as its not 5-10 roosters repeatedly knocking the bottom out of her till she's dang near death. Then you have to step in and put an end to it.

That can happen depending on the breed, age, and disposition of the young roos.
My game birds will usually fight to mate the hens and knock each other off her. But my "domestics" have a tendency to do the gang bang when they are teens. They mellow some when they get older and some older ones even put a stop to the teens misbehaving. My Silkies usually start out as gentlemen and will dance/drop a wing on a girl, then politely peck her on the back asking if he has her permission to get some. But even the gentlemen Silkies will start misbehaving if they are allowed to run with and learn from the Rhodies. Nearly every Rhodie I've ever had was bad about it and a bad influence on the rest. But at the same time, they make good shtf survival birds, they are guaranteed to ensure the survival of the species (that's if they don't kill the hens while doing it).
Yeah, I read somewhere that RIR roos being really aggressive and rapey and losing the courting dance was a sudden thing that swept through and it's pretty much universal now. That makes me really nervous/sad, because my favorite cockerel is a RIR. He's nicer to everyone than any of the others. I'm really hoping that won't change, but I'm worried. It would break my heart if he turns into a jerk. He's one of my best lap chickens.

First time chicken owners often mistake their "making love" as aggression. It can look pretty violent, but that's just how they make babies, and most girls will squat and enjoy it. It comes naturally to them as long as its not 5-10 roosters repeatedly knocking the bottom out of her till she's dang near death. Then you have to step in and put an end to it.
Yeah, I get it that chicken copulation is kinda foreign looking to us. When I say "mean" I just mean that if the hen doesn't squat for him and he chases her down and forces her kind of thing. If she consents, go for it. But yeah, no gang bangs are gonna be tolerated around here.

I hear that roosters chill out after about 2 years of being mature. Are they "persistent" all year round during those first two years, or just during the spring?

Yeah, I get it that chicken copulation is kinda foreign looking to us. When I say "mean" I just mean that if the hen doesn't squat for him and he chases her down and forces her kind of thing. If she consents, go for it.
I'm sure some people on here have quite polite Rhodie Roosters, but most all I've ever seen, their idea of the drop a wing dance is race full speed across the yard, grab her by the hair, get up on it, and go to town. I'm sure there are some Rhodies that do courtship, but I haven't seen any yet.

Yeah, I read somewhere that RIR roos being really aggressive and rapey and losing the courting dance was a sudden thing that swept through and it's pretty much universal now. That makes me really nervous/sad, because my favorite cockerel is a RIR. He's nicer to everyone than any of the others. I'm really hoping that won't change, but I'm worried. It would break my heart if he turns into a jerk. He's one of my best lap chickens.
How old is the nice boy? He may be past that teen age hormonal phase.

I'm sure some people on here have quite polite Rhodie Roosters, but most all I've ever seen, their idea of the drop a wing dance is race full speed across the yard, grab her by the hair, get up on it, and go to town. I'm sure there are some Rhodies that do courtship, but I haven't seen any yet.
Too bad there's not a way to teach them that they need to do the dance. Maybe if you have older hens to teach him some manners, but I don't. I hope mine continues to be pleasant. :fl

Once he starts crowing, keep an eye on him. That's a sign his acorns have dropped and he'll be looking for action, all day, every day, and especially in the evening when they start the 3 Fs of Sunset. Feeding, Fighting, and Fornicating. :gig
I'll listen for it. I currently only have one cockerel who tries to crow (the lead one). Not sure when/if the others will try anyway as a competition? Lead cock is 1 week older than the rest of them.

If you only have 2 roos, maybe they will do courtship and the hens keep them in their place since they don't have any older rapist to learn that bad behavior from. Roos will follow Roosters around and learn from them, good habits and bad. :old

Back
Top Bottom