I need Rabbitry cage ideas

Chickens 4Ever

Songster
May 28, 2017
Virginia
Hello. I’m going to build cages in a small wooden shed-ish thing and I need ideas for how wide and tall the cages should be. Wire or Wood? And I’m thinking about buying more rabbit cause my doe just had babies and they would be for show. Please reply on ideas or pictures of your Rabbitry if you have one??

Recommendations from The Rabbit Welfare Association and Fund, and the RSPCA are that rabbits should be housed with enough room to periscope, and make three hops. In practice this is around 12sq surface area, with 2ft to stand. In addition they should have a larger area for excercise. Sure, you can raise rabbits in Victorian style fattening hutches, and people do, but they will not be happy.

https://rabbitwelfare.co.uk/rabbit-housing/why-hutch-not-enough/

Mixed surface is best, giving a rabbit at least two options. So usually a solid area with straw and a wire area. One single floor type leads to sore hocks and bone deformities unless it is soil.

http://shinysatins.weebly.com/wire-floor-research.html

What breed rabbits do/will you have? All-wire cages that are stackable or hangable are best, though I have always purchased mine and don't know how easy they are to make yourself. Wood is not generally a good idea, as it is hard to disinfect and would need a covering of bedding, which also isn't very sanitary. Wire cages allow all droppings/urine to fall through, enable good airflow, are easily cleaned, and last for a long time (unlike wood, which gets dirty/chewed). Most rabbits will have no problems with sore hocks on wire cages; only extremely heavy breeds (like Flemish Giants) or those with genetically-poor foot padding (like some Rex/Mini Rex) should be kept on solid floors.

As for size of cage, it varies with the rabbit. I keep Mini Rex (3-4 pounds) in 18" by 24" cages and Sables (7-10 pounds) in 24" by 24" or 30" by 24" cages. My pregnant/nursing Sables live in 36" by 24" cages and my pregnant/nursing Mini Rex live in 30" by 24" cages. They need the extra room because their nest box and kits take up a lot of space. All my rabbits except maybe one have never had problems with sore hocks. None have had bone deformities. And, none of them have seemed unhappy with their size of cage, or become too fat due to living in what some may consider too little space. Most weight problems can be corrected with diet/pellet portion size, rather than space provided.

I have holland lops, and will be breeding them I was gonna do 24 x 24. Even for the breeding does, is there any good size for Holland Lops that will be having kits and wont?

I have holland lops, and will be breeding them I was gonna do 24 x 24. Even for the breeding does, is there any good size for Holland Lops that will be having kits and wont?

I haven't raised Holland Lops, but they are similar in size to my Mini Rex. I would give your does with litters 24 inch by 24 inch or 30 inch by 24 inch cages. Your Hollands without litters could probably live in 24 by 24 or 18 by 24 inch cages.

What type of wire should I use that’s good for the rabbits feet
I build my hutches 30”x30” and 18” high. Use 1”x1/2” wire or 1/4”x1/4” wire for the floors. For the sides and top you can use 1”x2” wire but you may want to put what they call a baby saver. Smaller wire around the bottom to prevent babies from falling out the cage shoukd your doe have them outside the nest box

Hello. I’m going to build cages in a small wooden shed-ish thing and I need ideas for how wide and tall the cages should be. Wire or Wood? And I’m thinking about buying more rabbit cause my doe just had babies and they would be for show. Please reply on ideas or pictures of your Rabbitry if you have one??
A05EDDDC-CA0D-4C49-A082-4F169ACF9DAD.png
This is the hutch I want to build next

Back
Top Bottom