I need shoop building advice!

emyancey

Chirping
Feb 18, 2024
Northern New York
Hi! My shed has FINALLY arrived and we are getting busy on turning it into a coop for my chickies!!! It is 10x16. The coop end is the end with the man door. The pop door into the run will go into that door.

I want to do my droppings boards about waist high, which on me is around 40-42" and then do the roosting bars 8-10" above the board. The thing I am worried about is that puts the roosting bars right in line with where the windows open. Obviously in winter, they will be closed, but in the nicer/warm/hot weather, is that going to be bad for them?

Also, for venting, it has a gable vent at each end, but I fear this is not enough. I am looking for ways to get more ventilation. I was going to try to look into making the transom windows operable somehow, but I don't know if we can do that; have them push out (preferably to stop rain) or pull in and have a hardware cloth "screen" on them. Suggestions please!

Lastly, I live in Northern New York. Our summers are hot and humid and our winters are full of a lot of lake effect snow and below zero temps. Should I insulate? Any advice would be helpful as we are starting building! Thank you!!! shed 1.jpg shed 2.jpg shed 3.jpg shed 4.jpg shed 5.jpg shed 6.jpg shed 7.jpg shed 8.jpg shed 9.jpg

That’s a very nice, big coop! Definitely more vents if your windows will be closed in winter, I believe they’re in more danger without vents in winter due to frostbite etc (moisture) I cut out holes in the walls and covered in hardware cloth, though I have big overhangs. I also added a wide gable vent. Here’s a few pics. I’m still thinking of adding more
IMG_3263.jpeg
IMG_3262.jpeg
IMG_3251.jpeg
IMG_3255.jpeg

Attachments

• IMG_3256.jpeg
    IMG_3256.jpeg
    876.2 KB · Views: 12
I'm in NY also. I'd open both gable ends up. Or at least one if you could get some of those transom Windows open. Don't worry about the window being at roost hight. The gals will love it open from spring to fall. Maybe a awning over it if prevailing winds could blow the rain in.

Transom Windows I'd open in and add awnings to the outside. I wouldn't want rain laying on those if you tip them out.

If you could open up the sides of the dormer, that would be great, but not sure how many sqft of ventilation that would give you.

Shoop fist bump!!

I have an 8x12 shed that we put up a dividing wall to make it half storage half coop.

I see yours has a metal roof too. We are currently putting foam insulation up on the interior of the roof to cut down on heat in the coop from the sun beating down on the metal roof. No shade trees near by to cut down on the sun and as the days are getting warmer, its getting hotter in there.

I have a wireless temp/humidity sensor in the coop and in the run so I can monitor the difference. The coop stays at a much lower humidity than the run but on sunny days will get 15-20 degrees hotter easily.

For ventilation I have one window in the back wall, a ridge vent in the roof, and a 650 CFM exhaust fan mounted opposite the window. I can also secure the man door open with out the chickens getting loose on really hot days if needed.

1715430542659.png

Shoop fist bump!!

I have an 8x12 shed that we put up a dividing wall to make it half storage half coop.

I see yours has a metal roof too. We are currently putting foam insulation up on the interior of the roof to cut down on heat in the coop from the sun beating down on the metal roof. No shade trees near by to cut down on the sun and as the days are getting warmer, its getting hotter in there.

I have a wireless temp/humidity sensor in the coop and in the run so I can monitor the difference. The coop stays at a much lower humidity than the run but on sunny days will get 15-20 degrees hotter easily.

For ventilation I have one window in the back wall, a ridge vent in the roof, and a 650 CFM exhaust fan mounted opposite the window. I can also secure the man door open with out the chickens getting loose on really hot days if needed.

View attachment 3828376
Nice setup. Just a reminder, ridge vents are rendered useless if cover up with snow. It's good to have additional ventilation.

Back
Top Bottom