I need Silkie information please

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by tiki244, May 3, 2008.

1. tiki244

tiki244 Flock Mistress

Jan 1, 2008
    WestCentralWisconsin
    I read that silkies sleep in a ball on the floor? What? that they are evil? They are stupid? They are very friendly? They are quiet? OK I have some silkie chicks now and I am getting scared; anyone that can tell me how silkie behaviour is different than regular chickens and how to deal with it? Thanks

2. Animallover606

Animallover606 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 12, 2008
    well sikies are acullaly very good hatchers and are not evil also i don't know if they sleep on the floor ina ball but they are nice cute and freindly

3. hinkjc

hinkjc Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Jan 11, 2007
    PA
    The majority of my silkies do sleep in a pile on the floor. They cannot fly very well at all and have difficulty reaching roosts. Otherwise, silkies are no different than other chickens and love to scratch, dust, hatch babies and enjoy their human friends like any other chicken. Enjoy them. They are certainly not evil and probably one of the most timid chickens I have ever had.

Jody

4. CarriBrown

CarriBrown Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

I've found they can't jump or fly up to roosts, so yes, they sleep together in a pile on the coop floor. No, they are not evil... as long as they aren't broody. My meanest broody is Crazy Elvira, a black Silkie.
    They may seem dumb, but I think it's because the afro covers their eyes. I keep mine trimmed so they can see.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by