1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

I need some advice on adding new hens to an existing flock?

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by CrayCrayChick, Nov 17, 2013.

1. CrayCrayChick

CrayCrayChick Out Of The Brooder

Hi, I am a beginner in raising birds, so I'm not so sure. I raised 12 chicks from day one and now they are just a little over 6 months. All of my girls are free-range, and their coop is not massive but it's cozy (they're out free-ranging for the whole day anyway).
    I wanted to add a couple of hens to my flock, but I know it's a tricky business! I heard that chickens are territorial, too. My girls are all really sweet and love people, so my question is if I add 2 hens to the flock, will my existing flock hurt them? What if the hens that I add to the flock are a year-old? Would that make the situation better?
    Or should I just forget about it? xD Thanks to all who answer! [​IMG]

2. CrayCrayChick

Also, do certain breeds specifically clash? My hens are red sex links and white leghorns.

3. WalkingOnSunshine

WalkingOnSunshine Overrun With Chickens

Apr 8, 2008
    Ohio
    Go slow. Put the new girls somewhere the flock can see them and interact, but not peck. A pen next to an existing pen is good. Keep them separate but where they can get to know each other for a week or so. Then put them in the coop at night, so they all wake up together. Be prepared for the newcomers to be chased and pecked for a bit.

They chickens don't care much about each others' breeds, but they might separate according to color a bit.

4. CrayCrayChick

Thank you!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by