I need some advice regarding a neighbor's dog

LGD is a livestock guardian dog. They are working dogs bred to guard flocks from predators. They're usually larger than herding dogs, and can be quite formidable.

I don't mean to sound stupid, but what is a LGD... Is it a breed of dog?

The term refers to several specific breeds that have been bred for thousands of years for the sole purpose of protecting livestock.

http://www.lgd.org/

They are mostly used with sheep or goats, but can adapt to other animals as well.

Most are large (100+ lbs) and many are white.

Mine happen to be Maremmas:

Lambsanddogs018_edited.jpg

salelambs092_edited.jpg

http://www.dogbreedinfo.com/maremmasheepdog.htm

Quote:
OMG your Mayor is AWESOME!! Thank goodness the situation was taken care of in a way that was peaceful for you!
hugs.gif

Not very many people have this kind of luck, you must have some mega good karma built up
smile.png

sad.png
Sorry for the loss. A predator is a destroyer of property and solice, menace is enough. Take a good shot, and do not allow the dog to leave the property. Call authorities, and turn it in.

Be brave about confronting PD, neighbors, or courts. It is your right to have and protect what is yours. A judge can be sued for denying those rights, when other avenues have been exhausted, and you bear the loss. Trust me. No Judge will support a chicken raider, nor can he support someone who is careless or irresponsible. Show you are a caring and responsible land owner, with a loss. End of story.

Let THEM bear the burden of taking you to court. The tale of actions will speak for itself.
somad.gif

Added: Just saw the last post. Awesome! So you do not stand alone. Best of luck!
cool.png

Last edited:
I'm with anyone who says "shoot it". Get you a nice 410 gauge shootgun and shoot the dog. If you get caught discharging a firearm in city limits, pay the fine. If its the stray, they your neighbor will be happy, if not she will be sad. Better her than you.

I haven't read all post but dog attacks three times is a bit much for saying "I don't want to put up a run or fence" IMO.

Check your ordinances on dogs and see what it says. Take the neighbor to small claims court. (if it's not worth your trouble then get rid of the chickens). Clearly the sheriff told them you can't shoot the dog so now she's giving you attitude.

Just because the sheriff said it doesn't make it true. I don't trust the sheriff anymore in light of some of the stuff I read in the news. Check with the town hall. Tell them the dog is aggressive toward you and yours.

If your local shelter won't take the dog then check with one in another county. I did this with a kitten that got dropped off.

You could trap the dog then tell them there is a charge to retrieve the dog. If they don't then call the shelter and tell them it's a stray and to come and pick it up. I did this with a dog once. I tied it out front and let them come and pick it up.

I delivered mail to a guy with one leg who used to keep a BB gun next to his chair on the porch and any dog that came into his yard got a shot in the butt.

Talk to a lawyer.

Last edited:
You Have Gotten Alot Of Very Good Advice And It Sounds Like You Have It Under Control
But If Continues Just Remember
It Is Easier To Ask For Forgivenes Than For Permission
So Shoot Shovle And Shut Up
Lots Of Luck
Protect Them Babies

Quote:
OMG! I didn't know they were renters. I have the same thing nextdoor and wrote the landlord a letter after the dog came at me. I was concerned for my GC. If your a land lord you should know you can be sued if a tenant has a bad dog and bites someone. I know I was a mailman and I had a co worker who sued a large complex over a dog that bit him and the owners knew the dog was a menace. He could nt' sue the dog owner cuz they were welfare but he did sue the complex owners and got enough money to do more work on his "dog bite room". An addition that he used settlement money to put on his house.

Well I'm glad things are better anyhow OP>

Rancher

Quote:
Well that Sheriff does not know what he is talking about. Here is your Kansas law Chapter 47 word for word. There are other sections about the dog owner having to pay for the livestock too. Maybe YOU can't shoot in town, but the Sheriff or Dog Warden can.

CHAPTER 47.--LIVESTOCK AND DOMESTIC ANIMALS. ARTICLE 6.--PROTECTION OF DOMESTIC ANIMALS. SHEEP, CATTLE OR HOGS.

47-645. Liability of owner of dog for damages.

If any dog shall kill, wound or worry any domestic animal the owners of such dog shall be liable to the owner of such animal for all damages that may be sustained, thereby to be recovered by the parties so injured before any court having competent jurisdiction.

History: G.S. 1868, ch. 105, § 44; L. 1911, ch. 313, § 1; May 22; R.S. 1923, 47-645.

47-646. Killing dog lawful, when.

It shall be lawful for any person at any time to kill any dog which may be found injuring or attempting to injure any livestock as defined in K.S.A. 47-1001, and amendments thereto.

History: G.S. 1868, ch. 105, § 45; R.S. 1923, 47-646; L. 1947, ch. 303, § 2; L. 1996, ch. 90, § 8; July 1.

Good luck,
Saltcreek, Retired Ohio Police Lieutenant

Back
Top Bottom