I need some buckeye expertise

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by Little-farm, Nov 27, 2012.

1. Little-farm

Little-farm Out Of The Brooder

Mar 26, 2012
    Bar Harbor, Maine
    I have a buckeye that was born in May, but was one of two surviving chicks out of a dozen due to incubator temperature error (not mine, but a local college) the other one was male, and we had to get rid of him because he crowed non stop and was mean to the girls and our other rooster. This one has just started crowing (sort of) and I think I saw him/her trying to mate with my buff Orpington (or she could have just been showing dominance?) Can it be possible to have genetic problems due to temperature? Could she be a she who thinks she is a he? There are no eggs yet, because we live in Maine and there is not much daylight right now. I have a good photo of her, but I only have an iPad right now and I cannot post URL's on it. I can email the photo to anyone interested in helping me figure this girl/boy? out. Thanks in advance for the help!

2. Little-farm

Mar 26, 2012
    Bar Harbor, Maine
    I also have a video of the "crowing" I can email.

3. hdowden

hdowden Overrun With Chickens

Aug 14, 2011
    louisiana
    males and females are completely differently colored.

male
    [​IMG]

female
    [​IMG]

4. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    A young bird crowing and mating is a rooster. Folks go on about how hens can crow, but that's older, dominant hens, not young pullets.

5. Little-farm

Mar 26, 2012
    Bar Harbor, Maine
    Thank you!!! That makes it quite clear, finally! Anyone want a buckeye rooster?

6. Little-farm

Mar 26, 2012
    Bar Harbor, Maine
    The reason I was confused was because the other one was so clearly a male. Large comb, wattles, crowing from early on, etc.... This one has taken much longer to get to this stage and his comb is so much smaller, but the coloring is right on. I can't tell you how happy I am to now have an answer. My daughter, however, is not going to be so happy. Thank you all again!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by