I need some help...

Bleenie

Wyan-DO's
10 Years
Jul 14, 2009
The Beautiful Pacific NW ,WA
Just last night something took my sweetheart gander, Lewis along with 2 of my Muscovy hens... it's been a terrible day today, to say the least.

The moment I heard Lewis scream I jumped up and ran outside with the flashlight, barefoot and all in the rain... stupid in hindsight because I am SURE it was a Bobcat, not a raccon like I have dealt with before. The entire coop was EMPTY and after closing the 2 chicken pens i ran back inside for a coat & shoes so i could search the field/yard & creek. Thankfully the remaining ducks in my flock were in the middle of the swollen creek and a few in the duck house(brooding).... still no Lewis though, I knew he was gone when he didn't make a noise when I called for him.
sad.png

Well now everyone except about 5 ducks REFUSE to come more than half way back to the coop... i tried forever today before it was getting dark. Bread, cheerios, scratch.. nothing worked. They wouldnt even go more than halfway for the bread!

I HAVE to get them back into the pen but apparently the attack has seriously traumatized them. I don't know what to do except for take away ALL food and starve them into coming back to the coop... it sounds mean but i like hungry more than dead.

Does anyone have any suggestions on how to coax them in without starving them?
I just don't wanna lose anymore of my babies.
sad.png

if you can try and get a long stick or pole and herd them back into there pen. And if there in the creek, well i would invest in some chest waders
wink.png

Sorry for your loss and i hope you can get them back into the safety of there pen.

Oh thats horrible Bleenie, I hope your okay
hmm.png
hugs.gif
very sorry about Lewis
sad.png

I'm assuming where your ducks free range is too big to round them back up again? Hmm.. maybe try herd coax them into something else... like one of those makeshift pens they use to put puppies in, then try get them into the coop? I don't know, but the aim is to get them back in before nightfall? darn predators

They refused to come in tonight, they're planted right in the middle of the creek except for 5 of them that are locked in one of the coops. I tried to herd everyone back but even my older, very coop-trained girls refused to go more than half way to it from the creek. I won't be getting much sleep tonight but hopefully I can get them all in in the morning.
fl.gif
fl.gif

Oh, poor Lewis! I don't know what to do to get your other ducks back in their pen. Hopefully, they will be OK until morning and you will have a better time getting them to come home.

They do eat inside of their pen.. the pen that some of the ducks are locked in now. I am hoping in the morning everyone will be hungry and waiting to get back in the pen, or at least most of them. I can get a few herded up but it's too difficult trying to get a bunch at once especially when one wants to run back to the creek and everyone else sees her!

Thankfully, even though it's swollen from the rain, the creek isn't too deep. I am hesitant to jump in though because i've been seeing salmon in there, to spawn so i don't wanna kill any eggs... the population has been dwindling in our creek over the last few years. Maybe i'll have to buy a REALLY BIG Fishing Net, but i think i'd have to do that in the dark or i would have no luck.

This is the first year we've EVER had bobcats bother any animals... I hate all these stupid housing developments they're throwing up around here.
he.gif
somad.gif

I got Buttons & Zoli back in this morning.. they were dying to get in and lay their eggs. Fatty came up too but I can't pick him up, last time he got me GOOD so I will get him in later. Thankfully there were no losses last night but I still think I am going to have trouble with Gaia, Panda & Echo.. maybe Ginger too.. they almost refuse to come off the water. We'll see later today though.

Back
Top Bottom