I Need Some Horsey Advise Please!

Silver Bantam

Cheesy Muffin
5 Years
So at the moment it's winter where I live, and all of you who own horses will know how awful it can be with ponies and mud. Well I was wondering if any of you could please give me some tips on how to prevent things such as Mud Rash, and Rain Scald? I am a bit worried about our two ponies at the moment, at times standing in mud up to the top of their hooves, braving the cold weather.
All advise welcome, thanks :)

If cost is a concern, start small.

Figure out where you are going to eventually build your 3-sided shelter...

Cheapest option - build up a "pad" with fill dirt, gravel, etc to give them a dry place to stand. Even better would be to lay down some landscape fabric first, to keep the fill from sinking to China.

Next cheapest would be to at least set the posts and put the roof up to give them a dry place from the rain.

The wonderful thing about a 3-sided shelter is that it can easily be put up in "stages". Set all the posts, put on the roof. Add the sides later. Or set 2 posts, put on siding for that section and you have a windbreak. Add the remaining posts and roof later. See what I mean? You don't have to do it all at once...

If cost is a concern, start small.

Figure out where you are going to eventually build your 3-sided shelter...

Cheapest option - build up a "pad" with fill dirt, gravel, etc to give them a dry place to stand. Even better would be to lay down some landscape fabric first, to keep the fill from sinking to China.

Next cheapest would be to at least set the posts and put the roof up to give them a dry place from the rain.

The wonderful thing about a 3-sided shelter is that it can easily be put up in "stages". Set all the posts, put on the roof. Add the sides later. Or set 2 posts, put on siding for that section and you have a windbreak. Add the remaining posts and roof later. See what I mean? You don't have to do it all at once...

Thank you for answering! That sounds like a good idea, I will talk to my parents tonight and try negotiate something ;)

lucky 14.3hh horse haha
thumbsup.gif

Yea X3 She's been clipped, so she kind of has to wear it

Back
Top Bottom