I need some ideas. Broken eggs.

sewchick

One Handy Chick
15 Years
Jan 7, 2009
Maine
I have a hen that lays eggs and they look like this:

20760_broke.jpg

I am sure they are not egg eaters..yet..because the membrane is in tact. Only one chicken does this. I think the egg hits the plywood in the nest box and breaks. I have put a lot of hay in the boxes. Twice the amount I usually put in and still she kicks the hay around until the nest box is bare on the bottom. I have given them extra calcium so I know it's not that. Is there some sort of pad or something people use to keep the eggs from breaking? I am at a loss. I have no idea what to do. I just hate to throw away eggs. It's becoming a daily thing with her. I am not sure if it's the buff orpington or the jersey giant.

Question 2.
I have two silkie hens that lay eggs on the floor. Is there a way to get them to lay them in the nest boxes? They don't seem to fly or perch. Is this normal?

For the broken eggs its probably the hen lays soft shell eggs or another hen wanted that nest and the egg got broke and the silkies they do that because they cant fly that good and the other chickens probably boss the silkies around and they started laying on the floor our silkies do that

If you use those non-slip pads that people use on their kitchen shelves, that will help pad some. You can cut them to fit and throw them in the washer or just hose them off when they get dirty. Buy a roll and make several. You could even staple it down if you need to. They are thin, but the waffle texture helps cushion the eggs.

I had this problem and no matter how much hay I put in the box it would all be scratched out by 2 of my hens that apparently don't like hay. They also scratched every fix I tried to shreds! I finally got those rubber floor tiles, that they sell for kid's rooms, and nailed them in. They haven't been able to faze them!
yippiechickie.gif

Quote:
Im going in town on the weekend and buy some. Geez I have two hens that use the nest boxes. There are 4 nest boxes. It's just frustrating going out there and seeing that. She just started laying two weeks ago. Both of them started laying the same time. If that jersey giant doesn't start to smarten up I am going to put the cook pot in the coop. Maybe that will inspire her.
lol.png
She picks on my silkie girls. Grrrrr.

Quote:
Im going in town on the weekend and buy some. Geez I have two hens that use the nest boxes. There are 4 nest boxes. It's just frustrating going out there and seeing that. She just started laying two weeks ago. Both of them started laying the same time. If that jersey giant doesn't start to smarten up I am going to put the cook pot in the coop. Maybe that will inspire her.
lol.png
She picks on my silkie girls. Grrrrr.

lol-020.gif

Last edited:
I don't have problems with broken eggs but I do have problems with the chickens scratching all the wood chips out. I solved that by putting some wood strips on the bottom of the next box to make it deeper. they still scratch around but most of it hits the sides of the box and stay inside now.

My silkies don't fly well, but they use the next box. I keep one low so it is easy for them to get in. No one else wants to lay eggs in the lowest egg box. they all like the taller ones.

I have 4 inch sides (or higher) all around. It does help but the 2 hens I spoke about above are just extremely determined to have an empty nest to lay in!
idunno.gif

I am having the exact problem here. I love the rubber tiles idea! Gonna try that one for sure.

Back
Top Bottom