I need some insight....

snowwhitejen

Chirping
8 Years
Apr 13, 2015
Hi there,
I could use some insight. I am attaching two photos of two of my girls (they are almost 3 years old). Keep reading below.
TcizDfo%QS2OhlXBrdGfeg.jpg
dxwUrhInQVSx3GrFAFV3gg.jpg
. I am trying to figure out what is going on with there feathers. My Cayuga's feathers have ALWAYS (from the time she fully feather out) looked like this. Its almost as if they never matured??? Just recently my other girl pictured is starting to look the same, she may indeed be molting. I have increased calcium. I feed them the same food that I feed my chickens. Always organic.

Wondering if my cayuga has some type of deficiency?

thanks for any help!

Hi there,
I could use some insight. I am attaching two photos of two of my girls (they are almost 3 years old). Keep reading below.View attachment 2284364View attachment 2284368. I am trying to figure out what is going on with there feathers. My Cayuga's feathers have ALWAYS (from the time she fully feather out) looked like this. Its almost as if they never matured??? Just recently my other girl pictured is starting to look the same, she may indeed be molting. I have increased calcium. I feed them the same food that I feed my chickens. Always organic.

Wondering if my cayuga has some type of deficiency?

thanks for any help!
If she is molting, I think you're supposed to increase protein, not calcium. Calcium is only used for egg shells.

I've never seen that before, but the duck in the first picture looks to have some wet feather going on.

What brand of feed are you feeding them?
How often do they get to play in "full-body" deep water?
Do you have any males?

Tonight, pick one of them up, and closely examine around/under their wings and vent area using a flashlight, looking for any signs of ectoparasites like mites/lice.

My older Pekins tend to get lazy as they age regarding preening, and a few months before a molt will look like this,

1597058864845.png

But, all-year-round appearance, there is something that needs to be addressed.

I'm very interested in what they're being fed, because poor nutrition could easily cause something likes this.

I've never seen that before, but the duck in the first picture looks to have some wet feather going on.

What brand of feed are you feeding them?
How often do they get to play in "full-body" deep water?
Do you have any males?

Tonight, pick one of them up, and closely examine around/under their wings and vent area using a flashlight, looking for any signs of ectoparasites like mites/lice.

My older Pekins tend to get lazy as they age regarding preening, and a few months before a molt will look like this,

View attachment 2284550

But, all-year-round appearance, there is something that needs to be addressed.

I'm very interested in what they're being fed, because poor nutrition could easily cause something likes this.
Thank you for your insight. We feed them Purina organic layer feed (for chickens). I was considering if they are not getting correct nutrition. They have a 3/4 acre pond that they are in and out of free ranging all day. No males. Although my Cayuga doesn’t lay, but she does get broody occasionally. Any suggestions on feed?
Thanks for the help!

Nature's Best Organic Egg Layer Pellets

This is what I have been feeding all of my chickens/ducks. I think I need a separate food for the ducks though, seems they need more protein.
I spent a lot of time searching for the right stuff that I could obtain locally, even if I had to order it but perhaps its a Covid issue, or perhaps just not much available for ducks here but the right protein mix and appropriate calcium seems to be tougher to find. IIRC the purina duck feed has 19% protein and came well recommended for consistent feeding. to all the flock. I am always shocked by how much my ducks eat, they don't seem to be overweight to me, and they certainly get plenty of opportunity to move around, their recreation areas are far away from their food areas so they can't just lay in one spot. I suppose it doesn't do much good to have nutritious food if they aren't eating it, how much are they consuming in a day do you think?

Back
Top Bottom