1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

i need some more help

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by rebelboy123, Nov 6, 2009.

1. rebelboy123

rebelboy123 New Egg

Nov 3, 2009
    Manchester Tennessee
    i just hatched some baby chicks and the mom wont exxcept them what should i do

2. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast Premium Member

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    Time to get a heat lamp and make yourself a brooder.

3. rebelboy123

rebelboy123 New Egg

Nov 3, 2009
    Manchester Tennessee
    well aint got heat lamp yet what should i use

4. Bock_Bock

Bock_Bock Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 13, 2008
    Hayward, Ca
    if you dont have a heat lamp for the night see if you can keep them inside under a regular light as to keep them as warm as possible, if you have some kind of box or glass tank to keep them in put a stuff animal or something like that even a feather duster, something that the chicks can cuddle up to or under to help keep them warm

5. poupoule

poupoule Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 9, 2008
    I have used a desl light with an extended support and I dropped it quiet low in the brooder box. But make sure the chicks can't burn themselves. I kept a thermometer in the box so I could check that the temperature under the light was fine. I raised 11 chicks like that, without any trouble. Good luck1

6. CheerfulHeart2

CheerfulHeart2 Creative Problem Solver

Apr 8, 2009
    Phoenix, AZ
    I used a 100 watt bulb and then a 60 watt bulb when they got bigger. Notice how the act. If they huddle directly under the light, they are cold. If the pile up in the corners away from the light they are hot. It is best if they are somewhere in between. That tells you that they are comfy with the temperature.

7. hinkjc

hinkjc Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Jan 11, 2007
    PA
    How many chicks? For a small group, an indoor brooder is easy to throw together using a box, aquarium or rubbermade container. Use a regular 85 or 100 watt red spotlight for warmth or 60 watt depending on size of brooder and how warm it gets. You'll need a thermometer to check to make sure you don't cook them in too small a space. If the space is bigger, put the lamp on one end and let the other end so they can move away from the heat if they need.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by