I need some pics on how to build my beds for the chickens to lay eggs

thechickenfarm

Hatching
12 Years
Jan 24, 2008
I got a fairly big chicken coop, i just need to build a run for them and some beds if you could post some pics of the beds i would appreciate it. thanks

nestboxes.jpg

12" wide x 14" deep. Slanted roof to keep them from roosting & pooping on top. Perch for hopping up. 3" lip to keep eggs and bedding in. Our have another door in the back so we can collect eggs without having to go into the coop. they're about 15" off the ground (must be lower than the primary sleeping roost.) These are built out of salvaged plywood. painted dark inside to make them nice and cozy and attractive to the hens.

Check my backyard chickens personal page. I have detailed plans for building a 4 box unit with a roost bar. I have 2 of these units mounted one above the other in my coop. 8 nesting boxes, and my silly girls pick a box of the day and all lay in that one box.
gig.gif

Here's our nest boxes that are in the main coop. We made them out of an old plexiglass, homemade, brooder fish tank.

P9243996-1.jpg

The finished products...

47b7d711b3127ccebdcd80a8390400000026100FYtm7ho2Y-

The Bantam Mottled Cochin girls enjoying one of the new boxes...

PA204294.jpg

I also use those stackable kitchen bins...

roostsnestbox.jpg

P9284124.jpg

A 12" x 12" cardboard box can also be used...

PA014169.jpg

Hope this helps!

Dawn

Last edited:
Ours suffer with these:
nestbucket.jpg

Really, though, just this one (of 4) all eight girls think this one's the only one - never have had a busted egg because of this `sisterly' crowding. When I see two tails sticking out I do wonder how they got their fat bods in there together.

We took our cue from a far more ambitious member of ezbyc a few yrs ago (if any of you old timers remember who posted this - or if you are here, now - please give/take credit), they were serious with the 5gal. buckets! And it worked out well for us on a far more modest scale.

ezbycnestbucket.jpg

Back
Top Bottom