I need some pop door suggestions, ideas and pictures.

TubbyChicken

Songster
11 Years
Jul 30, 2008
Kentucky
My husband built our "pop door" for the pullets and unfortunately made it a bit to small, so it will have to be made much larger...For the time being he avoided giving our hens access to the run because we wanted to keep everyone isolated, but now they desperately need some outdoor time. (One of the hens gets to free range but the other is too skittish so the poor thing has been cooped up for weeks now.) It's just the two hens in a 4x6 coop with a nice sized roost and two nesting boxes, but they (especially the skittish one) need some more outdoor time. Today is the day that my dh is devoting to extend the run and to fix the doors.

Right now the pullets door is pulled open with a string, there is a spring inside the door to spring it closed and a pulley system to open it. I don't really like it...the string always comes off the pulley, it's starting to fray, isn't always easy to open and I have a different image of what I'm wanting.

Does anyone have pictures of their coop door to share or suggestions?

I feel your pain, you do need to figure out how to get a working pop hole for your chickens.

Here's a picture of my coop, I'm sorry it's not great but you can see my pop hole with the green ramp attached at the bottom. Our ramp is attached by hinges so it is also the door that closes the pop hole. I lift up the ramp and attach it to the coop wall with a locking system.

IMG_1138.jpg

Hope this gives you some ideas.

Here is our pop-door - it pulls up by pushing in a spring attached button and then pulling the upper ledge thingy - once it is all the way up out pops the button again to hold it up. Hope this makes sense. Unless racoons have help they shouldn't be able to get it open!

DSCN1710.jpg

DSCN1711.jpg

DSCN1717.jpg

Here are some pictures of my pop door.

This is where I routed the HD line from the door to the pull.

The yellow thing is a led weight pull with Yellow shrink tube over it. It keeps the door from shutting. Lift up to shut, pull down to open.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom