I need some rooster advice please

SilkieRooster01

Hatching
Jul 12, 2016
South Africa
big_smile.png
Good morning
I have made a diy no crow rooster collar with Velcro for my Silkie.
Softside to the neck, and snug (not tight) fit around the neck.

But he just walks backwards, to try and get out of the neck collar, or he sits quietly, with his head on the ground.
My poor rooster acts distressed. Any ideas on what I can try next to lesson the volume of his crow?

Regards
Lené

How long did you leave it on? This behavior is normal for the first day or two and should cease.

No-crow collars are the only typically feasible option to lessen crowing. There are a few vets out there who claim to perform surgeries to remove and prevent crowing, but these procedures are expensive and (according to my avian vet) not guaranteed to be effective

Caponizing (castration) removes crowing altogether but if the bird is already crowing it's almost certainly already too old for the procedure.

Good morning.
I only left it on for a couple of hours.
I will leave it on for a couple of days then. Thank you very much. I really really hope he will get with the program by then. I don't want to give him up. Have a great day! Regards Lené

No your fine, After the first 2-3 days he'll just let it be. I've already been cited for roosters but ohh well. I keep this diy collar tight on him he breathes/eat/drinks all fine. Its been on for about 1 1/2 months now so I'm just enjoying the silentless mornings and non-worrying of getting a ticket for having him. He's still fine and healthy now. Every so often when he crows he'll go in that backwards motion but in the end he's fine.... They are just trying to loosen it up off them tbh, nothing to worry about.

You can keep it as tight as long as he breathes, eats, or drinks all fine.

Last edited:
My roo, who has the collar now for two days, also did this. We are on day three now and he does it far less. I don't have the collar very tight, was planning to tighten it up today, but I wonder if that makes it worse for him since it can move around more. You might want to make sure the collar is snug enough that might make it less bothersome for him.

Back
Top Bottom