I need some winter tips please help

This is my first time having chickens and I am kinda worried.I built a chicken coop it is 6ft long and 4feet wide and I put a vent in the coop its 10in in a square and covered it with a vent I bought from Ace hardware. I have a heated water bowl and food at all times.it is going to be -14 tonight.I went out to the coop tonight and notice that there was frost on the walls inside the coop is that ok? And one of my chickens comb looked a little purple but only on one chicken because its comb is really big is there anything I should know I am worried for them.they only have one more night it the negatives thank the lord

It sounds to me like you don't have enough ventilation. A sure sign of that, is the frost on the walls. Open it up MORE.

Okay for those who think they have cold weather, and for those who know they have cold weather.
This morning -14f, with a -35 to -40 windchill.
This coop is insulated, had the window cracked open a bit, 600 watt oil rad heater in an enclosed cage in 1 corner of the coop, temp just below freezing this morning, little bit of ice in the water overnight.
This afternoon, -5f, with a -25f windchill, let chix out for a quick break, then chased them back in. This cold country and can will on occasion get colder, this is quite cold for here in early December.
You gyys that have the temps go down to teens or 20s, don't worry they will be fine, it's temps like we have, that things can get dicey real quick....

love,love your setup can u show me the heater please?

Here ya go, electricity is the cheapest in North America, my whole residence is run on electricity, including a central electric furnace for the house.
I am not in for a debate but feel this may be the best and safest approach to adding some supplementary heat. Works in my case. i just turn it on high enough to keep the edge off. In this -40 windchill weather is is on about 1/2 way..
next year plan to add onto the coop, put siding on it, and build a nice tin roof for the run, make her real purdy, here is also a pic of the handmade weathervane i had made last summer.

Last edited:
tk you! i dont think the chickens need it but i spend a lot of time out there and i dont have feathers. lol my house is elect. too its about 10-15 degrees here. i will put one in
clap.gif
like yours but use it for me !!

you made that? thats great work. i looked for one of these for a couple yrs. and finally found one beat up but ok. i had a time deciding on red or the copper it was allready and i went with the copper. lol i hope santa brings me a camera!! and someone to teach me how to use it.

Okay for those who think they have cold weather, and for those who know they have cold weather.
This morning -14f, with a -35 to -40 windchill.

And I thought getting down to 16 degrees was cold. :)

I don't know how you live there. That's too cold for me.

And I thought getting down to 16 degrees was cold. :)

I don't know how you live there. That's too cold for me.
I hear yah, and i live 20 minutes north of a city of 800000 (Winnipeg), both Calgary and Edmonton 2 cities 800 miles to the west each are about 1.2 million people, there 200 miles apart, and get this kinda scary cold weather too. Just think of Minneapolis weather, and it is worse here...

Back
Top Bottom