1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

I need suggestions for housing ducks in the winter

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by Buster, Dec 28, 2008.

1. Buster

Buster Back to Work

I have 6 ducks that are usually house outside in the summer in a pen with a doghouse in it. However, the pen is snowed in now and they have moved themselves into the chicken coop on their own accord. This was working out ok until I started noticing how wet they are making the coop. So they need a new place to sleep. My problem is that most of the place is under a foot of snow now and I don't have a lot of options on where to put them. The ducks are free range during the day and really don't need to be too secure. I just need an idea on where to put them at night to keep them out of my chicken coop.
    Suggestions?

2. Marlinchaser

Marlinchaser Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 18, 2007
    MERRY LAND
    Take them to PC with the intention of processing, it worked for me, now I have no ducks [​IMG]

3. sunbury chick

sunbury chick Chillin' With My Peeps

May 14, 2008
    Sunbury,Ohio
    BUSTER,
    I only have one duck and she's free range. we made her a doghouse,with straw and she won't get in it.We made her a house,both ends open,out of straw bales( she won't go in no matter how cold and windy.She sleeps under our motor-home.I guess she feels safe being able to get away from preditors.She's been doing this for three years now.She has a pond to swim in when it's not frozen....

Last edited: Dec 28, 2008
  4. beakkeeper

beakkeeper Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 20, 2008
    [​IMG]
    Quote:

5. sunbury chick

sunbury chick Chillin' With My Peeps

May 14, 2008
    Sunbury,Ohio
    ]here is the straw house we made for "DUCKY" and a pic of her lonely little self.Hope she gets a mate in spring.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

6. Buster

Buster Back to Work

Well I guess I could set up some straw bales somewhere and see if they take cover. I would have to go into the coop every night and throw them out first though. I just had a thought- maybe I could put straw around my trailer pen so as to enclose the bottom of it so they can use that for shelter.

Marlin- I know a guy here who processes birds. He did a fine job with my turkeys.

7. DuckLady

DuckLady Administrator Staff Member

Jan 11, 2007
    Washington State
    Well, if you only have 6 ducks, I think the trailer shelter would work great if you are not going to bring them in the house.
    If you bring them in the house, make sure to put them int he bathroom with the biggest bathtub.

They will also enjoy it if you sit at the bathroom door and and quack at them as you give them treats, like tomatoes and watermelon out of season, as well as fresh greens and Cheerios. They may even crawl in your lap.

We have 21 ducks and my mean nasty crusty husband won't let me bring them all in. Only Miss Matilda, my special needs duck comes in for spa weekends now and then.

8. Buster

Buster Back to Work

I don't think DW would allow the ducks in the house no matter how much she likes them.

My biggest problem with the ducks is that they raid the chicken coop for water and spill it all over. I am going to try feeding them outside and watering them there too and see if they will abandon the coop. I don't mind them going in there for shelter at night, it's the water mess in the day that is the problem.

9. Wildsky

Wildsky Wild Egg!

Oct 13, 2007
    California
    Another option to get you by till you can BUILD a fancy schmancy coop for the ducks.
    FIX the water problem. My water in my coop is UP on a wooden box, the ducks can get up there, but they can't hang out and play fools with the water.
    I bet you can think of something to get you by.

If they're locked up later and opened super early - you could probably take the water OUT the coop without too much worry, I keep a little rubber tub outside the coop and fill it in the morning and afternoon, the ducks MUCH prefer to play in that than the water in the coop. I open them at around 8am, and they get closed up at around 6pm (dark already.)

10. Buster

Buster Back to Work

Quote:I think you are right. I usually water them outside of the coop anyway and they would rather hang out by the outside waterer than in the coop with the chickens. I put my waterers in the coop on milk crates so that they can't make a big mess but I've been lazy and have just been taking tubs out and putting them in the coop. I need to go back to the way I used to do things I guess- even if it's winter. I'll try that and see how it goes.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by