I need the smell under control!!!!!

for teh coop sand sand sand I love it easy to clean it sucks the moistur right out of the poo and no issue with smell easy clean up and you can use the sand and poo in garden. my coop is right under my bed room window and next to my swamp cooler and i have yet had issue with smell

We clean the coops, daily. Each roost area is scraped clean every morning. -no poop stays in the coop. -scoop it out again at dusk. The run is scooped daily, as well (several times). Whenever I let the chickens out to roam the lawn, I take a few minutes to rake/scoop the run. At the end of the day, I spray the lawn well to water in any poop that hasn't been removed after they go back to the run/coop for roosting. My DH constructed two great trays that sit in the run. Both feeders hang over the trays, eliminating any food scratching/spilling (onto ground). The chickens eat any spilled feed out of the trays. Nothing smells worse than feed that has gotten soggy and wet in a dirt run. I don't do shavings or hay in the run - prefer to keep it simple with sand/dirt.

I do the Deep Litter Method. My smell is very little to none at all. I Just rake it around once a week. Add some more pine shavings every 2-3 weeks and replace all litter every quarter. I go through about 20cf of Pine shavings a quarter.

You may need to clean the coop well. But after that, I use DE and Lime to keep the smell and other things like mites and lice and under
control. Regular maintenance is probably the best thing. I use the deep litter method so I add new pine shavings and DE often which seems
to keep the smell and poop under control.
Are you using Barn Lime?

I see Texaschick mom mentioned it, but the worst smell I had was from rotten feed. If you are over feeding your birds, they get sloppy about cleaning it up. And that old food works into the ground, add water and that equals stink.

Dryness is a blessing we have on the prairies, generally the dryer the coop/run, the better it smells. I put bedding in the coop, and then even so often just sweep that out into the run, fresh bedding in the coop. I often rake it up into piles in the run, and the chickens scratch it back out, making pretty darn good mulch later for my garden.

Mrs K

Back
Top Bottom