I need to get rid of this frizzle roo, correct??

McGill

Chirping
Jun 4, 2023
Kansas
It breaks my heart, but I'm pretty sure Mister black is a roo (that comb came in bright pink at 2 weeks, and it's much redder now at 3.) If my other two frizzles turn out to be hens, I can't keep Black can I? Because if they breed it would be frazzles?

Attachments

• VideoCapture_20230705-211808.jpg
    VideoCapture_20230705-211808.jpg
    261.8 KB · Views: 19
  • VideoCapture_20230705-212349.jpg
    VideoCapture_20230705-212349.jpg
    89.8 KB · Views: 6
  • VideoCapture_20230705-213119.jpg
    VideoCapture_20230705-213119.jpg
    208.7 KB · Views: 6
It breaks my heart, but I'm pretty sure Mister black is a roo (that comb came in bright pink at 2 weeks, and it's much redder now at 3.) If my other two frizzles turn out to be hens, I can't keep Black can I? Because if they breed it would be frazzles?
Aww I'm sorry! You are correct and doing the right thing by rehoming, you know how many health issues can come for Frazzles! but do you have a separate area to keep him with hens that are not frizzle? Thats a possibility? Have a great day Beautiful Babies!

I have no idea what a "frazzle" is supposed to be. If you breed two frizzles then about 1/4 of the chicks will die in the shell before hatch because of the frizzle gene pairing up at that gene pair. About 1/2 will be frizzles. About 1/4 will not be frizzles but will have normal feathers.

If you don't incubate the eggs you don't have an issue. If you don't allow frizzles to breed you don't have an issue. If you breed a frizzle to a non-frizzle you will get about half frizzles and half non-frizzles. But if you allow frizzles to breed about 1/4 will die in the shell.

I have no idea what a "frazzle" is supposed to be. If you breed two frizzles then about 1/4 of the chicks will die in the shell before hatch because of the frizzle gene pairing up at that gene pair. About 1/2 will be frizzles. About 1/4 will not be frizzles but will have normal feathers.

If you don't incubate the eggs you don't have an issue. If you don't allow frizzles to breed you don't have an issue. If you breed a frizzle to a non-frizzle you will get about half frizzles and half non-frizzles. But if you allow frizzles to breed about 1/4 will die in the shell.
A Frazzle is an over frizzled chicken sometimes people call them extreme curly it is the result of mating a frizzle to a frizzle (defiantly not desired) you are right that the frizzle gene is not completely dominant but if you mate the frizzle to the frizzle you can get 25%smooth 50%frizzle and 25%frazzle sadly frazzles have a lot of health issues they have very brittle feathers that break easily so they end up very patchy so they have skin issues and cant fight the elements, they can also have problems with enlarged heart and other issues. They do develop and hatch they just come with a lot of health issues. I'm happy that Mc Gill is asking questions about it as some people don't and learn the hard way

Back
Top Bottom