I need to kill my roo and i cant do it

I tried a bypass lopper and couldn't get it to actually cut through (in retrospect I should've gotten the feathers out of the way as they caught up in the blade), but it did at least snap the neck in one try so it was effective in that regard.

Feathers are tougher than people realize.

You are new to the area and you do not want to kill him. Craigslist can work. Maybe chat at the feed store and see if they know anybody. Many feed stores have a bulletin board where you can post an ad. Call your county extension office, they may be able to help. Talk to a minister. They get a lot of requests for help. Odds are they know someone who could really use the meat and would be glad to take him. It does not have to be your minister.

If you decide to kill him yourself, to me the most humane way is how you can. You want it to be fast and sure. You do not want to injure him or yourself. If you try a method where you close your eyes or flinch at the wrong time it is not safe for him or you.

With practically any method the chicken will flop and jump around. If the spine is broken or the head severed the chicken is not feeling anything, that's just muscle reflexes. It can be very disturbing to watch.

I use the hatchet and stump method. I grew up swinging an axe and hammer a lot. I used that method to butcher chickens when I was young. I do not recommend it to other people unless they are really comfortable with it.

Many people on here use some type of method where they hang the bird by the feet or put it in a cone with the head sticking out, then use various tools or knives to cut the head off or slice the jugular where it bleeds to death. Some of those methods you may be able to do yourself, for some having somebody to help could be good.

There are different methods of cervical dislocation. Variations of the broomstick method have been mentioned. Some people set the bird on their laps and twist and snap the heads to break the neck. There has been a lot of discussion on "swinging" the bird. I did that once. You hold it by the head and vigorously snap like you would with a whip. If you just gently swing it and let it go you have not killed the bird. Just like with any of these methods you have to do it right or it won't work. My snap was vigorous enough and my grip on the head tight enough that the head came off in my hand. There was no question the bird was dead, it was not going to walk out of the wood pile later.

Of course there are other methods. No matter how I do it, this is not pleasant. I raise mine for meat so it's something I have to do if I'm going to eat them. I have done some mercy killing. To me this is really hard but I consider it part of my responsibility in caring for animals.

Is it considered humane?

Its like hanging. If you do it properly, the neck snaps and the victim dies instantly. If you do it wrong, the victim dies of asphyxiation, and its not.

In that respect, its no different than any other killing method. Quick and certain is much more humane to the victim than slow, halting, and/or clumsy.

I use a SHARP! knike. Not merely Sharp, or sort of sHArP, or was once sharp, but actually SHARP!. Take the whole head off in one stroke (Its my favorite 8"chef's knife). The mental fortitude to do so, and the clarity of mind to work quickly on those rare occasions when the knife doesn't glide between vertebrae, is not found in every individual.

Important that owners find a humane method that works for them - and if they can't bring themselves to do so with certainty and quickly developed skill, then in my opinion, they should reconsider whether or no they can be responsible owners.

"When the need arises - and it does - you must be able to shoot your own dog. Don't farm it out — that doesn't make it nicer, it makes it worse."
Robert A. Heinlein

Your chickens, too.

and yes, a headless chicken will flap around quite a lot - autonomic nervous system doing what it does. Headless snakes behave the same way. So does a lizard's tail. All quite similar, from an evolutionary perspective. Its not a sign of "life", don't dwell on it.

There should be some place where you can take your roos to have them turned to meat or something
https://www.agservicefinder.com/meat-processors/

They are called meat processors.

Where there is enough business to support them, they exist. Where there isn't, they don't. Like any other commercial enterprise.

What I infer from you comment as a whole isn't very charitable, so I'm going to tell myself I have misunderstood your intent and step off, having already said my piece about owner responsibility, above.

What I infer in you comment as a whole isn't very charitable, so I'm going to tell myself I have misunderstood your intent and step off, having already said my piece about owner responsibility, above.

What I mean is...
That if you don't want to kill aggressive roos yourself, you take them there and they kill it humanely.

I have never had roosters- I can't have them in my town. But I know I would never kill my birds (I understand why the person who made the thread has to do it).
I am also strongly against animal cruelty- if an animal MUST be killed, then I hope it will be painless

Sorry if you didn't understand, or you thought this comment wasn't useful.
If it wasn't useful, I wouldn't know since as I said before, I don't have roos.

We had to 🔪 our roo once because he attacked my hubby. We put him in a feed bag with a hole cut in the bottom and stuck his head through and chopped his head off. He moved around for a bit but then he was dead. You can either butcher him and keep the meat if you want or just put the feed bag in the garbage. Do what works for you and the bird, whether it be killing him or giving him to somebody else. Wishing you luck!

Back
Top Bottom