I need to kill my roo and i cant do it

If you're in town you probably can't do this, but I had to put down a few mean roosters and I just catch them and calm them down so they aren't moving and shoot them in the head with a .22 pistol. They won't feel a thing, destroying the brain is the most humane IMHO.

If you're in town you will probably have to advertise on Facebook and maybe Craigslist "free mean rooster".

I'm sorry you gave to go through this, the first time is always the hardest, I'll flat out admit I cried.

If you're in town you probably can't do this, but I had to put down a few mean roosters and I just catch them and calm them down so they aren't moving and shoot them in the head with a .22 pistol. They won't feel a thing, destroying the brain is the most humane IMHO.

If you're in town you will probably have to advertise on Facebook and maybe Craigslist "free mean rooster".

I'm sorry you gave to go through this, the first time is always the hardest, I'll flat out admit I cried.
We only have a big gun so that might not be a good idea. How else could I do this? Do people really just swing them around by the head?

Honestly I hope it never gets easy. I love my birds and respect their lives, but I also know that for them to be happy we can't have too many males, and my family needs a humane source of chicken, so I do what I gotta do.

I'd go get him at night, put him in a kill cone or hang him upside down by his feet (not tightly, just enough to hold him so you can get the job done), and use some sharp loppers to take off the head. It's the easiest and quickest method I've found...I prefer to do my processing in the dark so the other chickens don't know what I'm doing so using a knife is a no go. Just remember if you have to tie him up instead of using a cone, step waaaaaaaay back after you lop the head. That or wear a rain coat and face shield...or else you're gonna have a bad time.

If you look on the meat bird forum you'll find a number of excellent posts about how to cull.

My preference so far is the broomstick method -- cervical dislocation is instant death (though the flapping reaction, which is caused by the severed nerves, is disconcerting). For the branch lopper method you need the BYPASS type of loppers, not the anvil sort.

This,
1620852693687.jpeg

NOT this,
1620852593825.jpeg

For me the broomstick is physically easier but for many people the loppers are mentally-easier because no head = certainty that the death was quick.

If you look on the meat bird forum you'll find a number of excellent posts about how to cull.

My preference so far is the broomstick method -- cervical dislocation is instant death (though the flapping reaction, which is caused by the severed nerves, is disconcerting). For the branch lopper method you need the BYPASS type of loppers, not the anvil sort.

This,
View attachment 2665850

NOT this,
View attachment 2665844

For me the broomstick is physically easier but for many people the loppers are mentally-easier because no head = certainty that the death was quick.
Just curious because I can't tell, what's the difference between the two loppers?

Just curious because I can't tell, what's the difference between the two loppers?

The first is bypass -- the blades shear past each other.

The second is anvil -- one sharp blade cuts against a blunt, fixed surface (some anvil loppers ratchet).

For branch lopping each has it's specific advantages, but if you want to cut a chicken's head off you need bypass to get a clean, fast cut. :)

The first is bypass -- the blades shear past each other.

The second is anvil -- one sharp blade cuts against a blunt, fixed surface (some anvil loppers ratchet).

For branch lopping each has it's specific advantages, but if you want to cut a chicken's head off you need bypass to get a clean, fast cut. :)
Ahh, okay that makes sense then. I know we use scissors for quail, which fits into that

Back
Top Bottom