I need to know EVERYTHING

hikerchick

Songster
10 Years
Apr 6, 2009
Dover, PA
Like - what kind of tools do I need. I have handsaws and a chainsaw. Do I need a circular or jigsaw?

What kind of wood do I use?

I have no carpentry skills at all, but I have chickens coming and no coop and the ones online are wildly expensive.

Any advice would be appreciated.

ummmmm.......

Not to be rude - but -

START READING. Look at pictures of coop designs and look for plans that give good directions.

check craigslist for a cheap shed in your area, that would give you a basic structure to use that only needs some basic modifications. A handsaw will work if you are good with it but I highly recomend a jigsaw. Good luck.

Please answer these questions to help everyone better help you with your coop.
How old will your chickens be?
How many chickens?
What breed/size of chickens?
thumbsup.gif

Last edited:
Quote:
Look at the coop design pages (link at very tippy top of this page)... there are lots of different designs, most with full construction pix.

What tools you need depends on what you're building, including whether you're converting a shed or building from scratch. Generally I would say a coarse-toothed hand saw (like Stanley's 'FatMax' or equivalent) plus a cordless drill (with drill bits and driver bits) would be sufficient, if minimal; a circular saw is nice if you have lots of plywood to cut, and a power jigsaw is nice for windows etc, but you do not NEED either of them, as such.

Most people use primarily 2x4 studs, 1/2" exterior plywood sheathing, and if there's a raised floor then 2x6s or 2x8s for the floor joists and 3/4" plywood for the floor. But, it depends what you're building.

If you have time and energy and imagination, you can ften scrounge materials for free or cheap.

Really, you need to look around til you have questions specific enough to be answerable, sorry
wink.png

Good luck, have fun,

Pat

You guys have given me a good start, thanks. I have looked at "plans" that I have found for free online and they give ideas and dimensions for the coop but no details- ie, what kind of tools you need, etc . So all of your advice is right on the money for me.

Thanks!

(I have 15 chicks coming in June - assorted large breeds. The coop will be inside an enclosed goat pen.)

Go to Home Depot and get yourself a book on decks and sheds. That will give you a good idea on what tools you're going to need as well as the basics of framing. Depending on how involved you want to get, you can get away with very basic tools -- or if you are anything like my husband -- you can go out and invest in all new tools to get the job completed.

If you don't want to get involved in construction, consider picking up a shipping crate. They often use 2x4 construction and most come with a removable lid that makes a fine roof. I picked up one last summer for free - it was for a bath tub. Also, many motorcycle stores get their bikes in shipping crates and that would work too. Just a thought.

Good luck!

PS - I think I have spent half of my natural born life on this forum and I'm still learning....

Actually, I was pretty excited to make my shipping crate into a cute little coop. Problem was that after considering how to insulate it (I'm in MN), it would have been too small inside. But the construction is very solid and you sure can't beat the price. We ditched it last summer or you could have mine. Let your fingers do the walk'n...

Back
Top Bottom