I Need To Know!

chickenfreak101

Chirping
6 Years
Apr 28, 2013
Leesburg, FL
OK, so I am opening a petting zoo, and I need to know what chickens are friendliest to little kids, or people in general. Are Bantams friendly? Are Buff Orpingtons? What about ducks? Are Indian Runner Ducks friendly? Geese? Turkeys? Sorry so many questions!
hu.gif
THANKS SO MUCH!!!
bow.gif

Silkies and bantam cochins are the ones people like to talk about being kid-friendly (keep in mind that they are individuals though- I once had a silkie roo chase one of my kids around).

Buff Orpingtons are affectionate (mine are at least) but they are a bit standoffish (actually all the breeds I have had go through a standoffish phase) until they begin laying.

It is hard to generalize, but those are the ones I think about when I try to imagine which ones I would choose personally.

I would stay away from the Mediterranean flighty egglayers.

Golden Sex Links (Red Sex Links) are also friendly to people but I found them to be a bit aggressive to my other chickens they weren't raised with. Also a few of the hens seemed to be a bit pecky towards me. I had to "peck" them back with my fingers on the back of the neck to show them that I was the top hen.

I would say as long as you hand raise them from young, they should adapt and become pretty domesticated and friendly. However like mentioned. They are still animals.

welcome-byc.gif
silkies are a popular favorite with kids but, need supervised viewing since they are fragile and can be hurt easily (especially injuries _ to the head). Bantam cochins have a lot of substance and are more robust

What other animals do you plan to have? I think some fainting goats would be really neat - I'm very much a kid at heart.

welcome-byc.gif
silkies are a popular favorite with kids but, need supervised viewing since they are fragile and can be hurt easily (especially injuries _ to the head). Bantam cochins have a lot of substance and are more robust

What other animals do you plan to have? I think some fainting goats would be really neat - I'm very much a kid at heart.

I am planning on having Nigerian Dwarf Goats and some Pygmies. Fainting goats are a great idea! Thanks! I am also looking into Nubian goats. Alpacas, donkeys, tortoises, ELEPHANTS
lol.png
, you name it, I have been doing a lot of planning!
THANKS EVERYONE!!!

Back
Top Bottom