I need to make a decision soon...

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by Bec, Mar 5, 2008.

1. Bec

Bec THE Delaware Blue Hen

I posted this question in the raising chicks section and didn't get the answers I needed. Can I raise my little roo by himself in the brooder? I don't really have the room for another out in the coop other than him, but I am concerned about him being by himself. Will he be ok?

**** I wanted to add that I have 7 Buff Orpingtons already...That he will be joining when he is old enought to go out with them..The decision I have to make is wether to keep him by himself in the brooder or try to queeze one more girl in there...I am affraid it would be too crowded If I did That...One more would be ok, but 2 more, I think, woud be unfair...

Last edited: Mar 5, 2008
  2. justusnak

justusnak Flock Mistress

Feb 28, 2007
    South Eastern Indiana
    Typically...chickens are flock animals. He will survive, but will probably not thrive, or be very happy. Maybe you can find him a good home?

3. Bec

Bec THE Delaware Blue Hen

Well he won't be alone once he goes out with my 7 Orpington hens...they will be 1 in April....I had a banty roo last summer and he lost him life fighting for his girls against a Kestral. I decided to wait until the spring to get another, so I only needed one roo...more would just be too many for the 7 I have. Sooo...that brings me to where I am now...

4. K&H Chicken Farm

K&H Chicken Farm Songster

Feb 17, 2008
    Redding CA
    MAke a house chicken out of him until he is ready to go out. Then he is with a "flock" and you get the enjoyment out of a well trained roo.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: