I need to talk about my mean cochin

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by wannabchick, Mar 24, 2011.

1. wannabchick

wannabchick Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 27, 2010
    Northen Va
    All I ever read..Cochins..the sweetest, the most docile, the best..etc

Well.....I have one..and well, not sure I would call her sweet..is this because she has taken on top hen role

She chases everyone..except her serema buddy

Other then that..she is like he'll-o on wheels..crack, etc..lmao

Lord forbid anyone is in her site...

She doesn't hurt them..thank goodness..they all run and take cover...

So is this what a top hen does?

2. chicky_mommy

chicky_mommy Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 10, 2010
    Northeast Corner of CT
    I have NEVER heard of a mean cochin, not even one that is top hen...are you sure she isn't crossed with something mean?

3. apmomma

apmomma Out Of The Brooder

Dec 3, 2010
    Northern Colorado
    What are the breeds of your other hens?? Seems strange..Our cochin is pretty much the bottom of the totem pole and is quick to dart from potential conflict with others. I suppose every flock is different though! Our top hen, a BR, does bully the other hens if they get inbetween snacks and her. It's hard to see, but I understand the importance of a pecking order.

4. La Mike

La Mike (Always Slightly Off)

Nov 20, 2009
    louisiana
    Well now everyone has heard of 2 of them because my blue roo will bite you if you get too close.
    Little sucker bites me every time I put feed or water in the pen.I just figured he had the small chicken disease lol

5. wannabchick

Nov 27, 2010
    Northen Va
    Thanks everyone..well isn't it funny how no matter what breed u get..their is always a story that will change the whole perception for one..hehehe

Well, about her being a Cochin..it is what I paid for..but ya never know eh..maybe if she is mixed that makes sense..because hang her..i have officially shied away from wanting cochins

Maybe I should try one more but let it be from a really good breeder..this Cochin..off bay so I know nothing of why she is what she is..
    Seremas..are not cool either..crazy things..now I got my seremas from top breeders..and one..is just plain insane..frizzled, runs around all day talking..all day..every day and won't go near ya..I mean screams like your gonna kill it if u go near it..funny thing though..lmao

My others are amerecaunas and silkies with the Cochin and seremas.....

Well, my whole..banty trial thing has not proven to me bantys are the way to go..except with my silkies...

Guess when I end up with my whole backyard flock..I will then compare...

Thank u

6. Eatin'Dirt

Eatin'Dirt Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 15, 2009
    Las Vegas NV
    I have a few Cochins & they are sweet but not my most friendly, my buff orpington's are! They are super nice & think they are dogs! LOL But Cochins are normally nice!

7. kla37

kla37 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 18, 2010
    Hillsborough, NC USA
    My cochins are nice. I have 3, a blue, a mottled, and a partridge. They are beautiful, but not super snuggly or anything. My BO is the friendliest. Then the Australorps. Those 4 always run up to me, will sit in my lap, want to be picked up, etc. My barred plymouth rock is the top hen and she's not very friendly. She won't chase anyone or be aggressive towards people, she just doesn't like any attention unless it is in the form of treats.

8. wannabchick

Nov 27, 2010
    Northen Va
    thanks ya'll.... I went out their.. today.. and their she is.. just chasing all the chickens.. they do .. quick.. run hide, she is on her rampage.. she runs.. with her wings up too... whats up with her???????????????????????????????????

9. RThomas

RThomas Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 19, 2009
    Tennessee
    My Cochin is too fat and slow to chase the other hens [​IMG]

10. looptloop

looptloop Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 21, 2010
    Pilot Hill, CA
    I have all standard size birds except for Sassy, my splash bantam cochin. Meanest little bugger, earned her name Sassy. She bites at me if I get too close, have even had her hanging onto the sleeve of my coat by the beak one afternoon.

I talk nice to her and giver her the same treats everyone else gets, she just does not like me...... at. all.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by