I need to vent...

Pics

Rampicruz

Chirping
Nov 23, 2020
So I really just need to get this out because I think many of you will understand this feeling of ultimate frustration I am having right now. Maybe in the process some of you can offer me some sound advice.

Today was the first day my 5.5 week Wyandotte pullets moved into their new coop. They were happy and exploring all day. They did not seem the least bit stressed out by the new sites and sounds of the yard. The thing I did notice is that they had ZERO concept of what the ramp was to get into the part of the coop that has the nesting boxes and closes up. I thought for SURE they would want to explore but they made no attempt to go up there. Half way through the day I put them in the "upstairs" and they seemed to enjoy their time. They actually took a little nap up there and seemed super cozy. I then noticed that they were not LEAVING that part so I moved then back downstairs where their food and water is. At 5:30pm it was dark and not only were they still hanging out but they were wide awake and eating and scratching and such.

At this point I needed to let me two corgis out to go potty and thought it would be good to introduce them and set some boundaries. The corgis were HORRIBLE. The chickens nearly killed themselves flapping all over and COMPELTELY IGNORING the ramp to which they could escape to a more safe feeling area. Long story short I now realize that I will probably not be able to let the dogs into the yard anytime soon without having them INSTANTY be glued to the coop an terrorizing the chickens. I will try to work with them but they are 12 and have a psycho prey drive...not sure how well that will go. Plus I do not want to torture the "girls" in the process. However, silver lining, the girls actually figured out that the dogs could not get in there and they quickly grew some confidence and were willing to stand by the wire and be fairly near the intense sniffing and circling of the devil-dogs, aka, corgis.

I put the dogs inside and decided that I needed to put the girls in the upstairs and close the door since they were making ZERO attempts at it themselves. They were really upset with me and when I finally got them in there and closed the door BOY o BOY did they have a lot to say to me and each other. They were doing their chirp that they do when they are calling for each other and their little trill when they hear crows or danger. The most distressed one actually WANTED me to hold her which is completely out of her nature. I put her in one of the nesting compartments and then moved the other two in with her. They instantly hunkered down with each other but they were just FULL of peeps and chirps and frustration. I LITERALLY had to stroke their backs and sing to them to get them to calm down. I went back out a little after to listen and they are still peeping but more normal peeps, not frantic chirps.

Please tell me what just happened.

I feel like I went from pure joy and happiness to see them in the coop to now I suddenly want to either have them live in my guest room for the rest of their lives OR find them a home with dogs that are less jerks. I am also at a loss as to why they could fly and jump alllllll over the guest room but not get on the ramp to go to a safe, cozy space. What am I doing wrong? Are they too young? Am I too green? Does this just work itself out?

Also, idk why I did not think about this when I got the chickens...but am I going to have to wake up with the sun to let them out of the upstairs part every day so that they will lay eggs eventually or will the sunlight that comes in through the little window they have be enough? I really do not think I can commit to letting them out at that time every day....more like 8 or 9 to be honest.

Ugh. Sorry for the rant and the questions...just feeling deflated and defeated today.

Chickens hate change and really complain around 'bed time' in a new coop. They will adjust to that. The real problem here is your dogs and their behavior - which is quite normal. Obedience training using the 'leave it' command might help. Hot wire around the pen will discourage their aggressive behavior and also protect against mammalian predators. You will be able to work things out - don't give up.

Chickens hate change and really complain around 'bed time' in a new coop. They will adjust to that. The real problem here is your dogs and their behavior - which is quite normal. Obedience training using the 'leave it' command might help. Hot wire around the pen will discourage their aggressive behavior and also protect against mammalian predators. You will be able to work things out - don't give up.
Thank you so much. MY corgis are 12 and I am fortunate that they are not more ill behaved than they already are lol. I am the queen of boundaries, commands, training, rules...you name it...and the corgis just keep doing what they do (laughing and ugly crying at the same time).

I will think on it and get creative. My last resort is to put up a little fence barrier across an area we have that I could technically keep them in and not have to worry about the dogs getting in. Thank you for the encouragement!

Last edited:
It is easy to train the dogs just set boundres of the coop, if they tutch the coop they get____.

haha yes I was all over them like flies on poop. They are well aware of "leave it" and "be gentle" and "NO!" but it was like I was talking to a brick wall. Instinct kicked in a BAM off to the races. But I will keep at it with them.

...just wanna add that they don't need to be let out when the sun comes up. If their coop is open to their run, they will figure this out, and if there is a door you have to open for them in the morning, 8 or 9 is a reasonable time to let them out.

Thank you so much for adding that. The coop is a two level with a wire enclosed run "downstairs" with a ramp up into the "upstairs" and a sliding door to close them in there. I figured to keep them as safe as possible at night I would close them in a little after dusk as often as I possibly can....is it ok to just leave that open and let them do their own thing even on cold nights in the 20's? and praise the Lord that 8 or 9 is reasonable!

So I really just need to get this out because I think many of you will understand this feeling of ultimate frustration I am having right now. Maybe in the process some of you can offer me some sound advice.

Today was the first day my 5.5 week Wyandotte pullets moved into their new coop. They were happy and exploring all day. They did not seem the least bit stressed out by the new sites and sounds of the yard. The thing I did notice is that they had ZERO concept of what the ramp was to get into the part of the coop that has the nesting boxes and closes up. I thought for SURE they would want to explore but they made no attempt to go up there. Half way through the day I put them in the "upstairs" and they seemed to enjoy their time. They actually took a little nap up there and seemed super cozy. I then noticed that they were not LEAVING that part so I moved then back downstairs where their food and water is. At 5:30pm it was dark and not only were they still hanging out but they were wide awake and eating and scratching and such.

At this point I needed to let me two corgis out to go potty and thought it would be good to introduce them and set some boundaries. The corgis were HORRIBLE. The chickens nearly killed themselves flapping all over and COMPELTELY IGNORING the ramp to which they could escape to a more safe feeling area. Long story short I now realize that I will probably not be able to let the dogs into the yard anytime soon without having them INSTANTY be glued to the coop an terrorizing the chickens. I will try to work with them but they are 12 and have a psycho prey drive...not sure how well that will go. Plus I do not want to torture the "girls" in the process. However, silver lining, the girls actually figured out that the dogs could not get in there and they quickly grew some confidence and were willing to stand by the wire and be fairly near the intense sniffing and circling of the devil-dogs, aka, corgis.

I put the dogs inside and decided that I needed to put the girls in the upstairs and close the door since they were making ZERO attempts at it themselves. They were really upset with me and when I finally got them in there and closed the door BOY o BOY did they have a lot to say to me and each other. They were doing their chirp that they do when they are calling for each other and their little trill when they hear crows or danger. The most distressed one actually WANTED me to hold her which is completely out of her nature. I put her in one of the nesting compartments and then moved the other two in with her. They instantly hunkered down with each other but they were just FULL of peeps and chirps and frustration. I LITERALLY had to stroke their backs and sing to them to get them to calm down. I went back out a little after to listen and they are still peeping but more normal peeps, not frantic chirps.

Please tell me what just happened.

I feel like I went from pure joy and happiness to see them in the coop to now I suddenly want to either have them live in my guest room for the rest of their lives OR find them a home with dogs that are less jerks. I am also at a loss as to why they could fly and jump alllllll over the guest room but not get on the ramp to go to a safe, cozy space. What am I doing wrong? Are they too young? Am I too green? Does this just work itself out?

Also, idk why I did not think about this when I got the chickens...but am I going to have to wake up with the sun to let them out of the upstairs part every day so that they will lay eggs eventually or will the sunlight that comes in through the little window they have be enough? I really do not think I can commit to letting them out at that time every day....more like 8 or 9 to be honest.

Ugh. Sorry for the rant and the questions...just feeling deflated and defeated today.
Ok. Put some treats on the ramp make a trail right up into the coop. I bet they go in. Now go out before dark and put them birds on the roost. Put them in the same place every night and close the door. Go in the house and do your things now. I go out about 8 am and let my birds out and that's that. They go to bed just before dark. If you wait until it's totally dark they can't see and can't get onto the roost. As others have said here chickens hate change. They are creatures of habit. Make some good habits. Like getting on the roosts at night. You don't want them to sleep in a nest box. You'll have dirty eggs.

Back
Top Bottom