I need your help and advice please!

shardean

Chirping
7 Years
May 12, 2012
Sequim, Washington
I have a 2 month old thick that was fine..until a day or two ago..she has splayed legs. really this just happened! I'm thinking that the rooster tried to rape her and the pressure messed up he legs. Is this fixable? She is very sweet, but can not walk. I had this once with a newborn chick tied her legs together and in a week she was good to go. This being an older chick wondering if this can be fixed. Any experience or ideas? Thanks!

I have a 2 month old thick that was fine..until a day or two ago..she has splayed legs. really this just happened! I'm thinking that the rooster tried to rape her and the pressure messed up he legs. Is this fixable? She is very sweet, but can not walk. I had this once with a newborn chick tied her legs together and in a week she was good to go. This being an older chick wondering if this can be fixed. Any experience or ideas? Thanks!

Could you post a photo? Can she move her legs and try to stand up, or is it as though she is paralyzed? Do you know if she was vaccinated for Marek's disease as a chick? Sorry for so many questions; to diagnose your chick I need more information.

she can not stand up, I have never vaccinated just give them medicated feed..but this is the first time I didn't the store was out of the medicated...Is that what it might be? Her legs look like the splayed leg chick I had last year. I tied her legs together and splinted them and she still can't stand. And she was fine yesterday AM! I will try and post a picture

she can not stand up, I have never vaccinated just give them medicated feed..but this is the first time I didn't the store was out of the medicated...Is that what it might be? Her legs look like the splayed leg chick I had last year. I tied her legs together and splinted them and she still can't stand. And she was fine yesterday AM! I will try and post a picture

Marek's disease is a viral disease. Medicated feed contains a coccidiostat known as Corid (amprol) to help prevent Coccidiosis; this medication has no effect on other diseases. If the legs look splayed, then it is probably splay-leg. I would keep her legs tied together, make sure she eats and drinks, and just let her rest. Perhaps she has become weak for some reason (bullying by other chicks, etc.), and just needs some time to heal and build back her strength.

I'm sorry I can't help more. Good luck with your chick!

Ok thank you. Just think it's weird for it to suddenly happen at two months. I have her in a box with food and water. Just hope she gets better. Her legs are taped and tied and she still doesn't stand. But can get a little higher then before

Back
Top Bottom